Lost 2 Birds in 1 week..... Left only a carcas

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Dogginfox, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Dogginfox

Dogginfox Songster

I have lost 2 of my hens in the past week, both were completely gutted and stripped of meat. They were inside my fenced in yard and my Corgis were in the house all night. Any Ideas of what this could be?

2. jjthinkagain

jjthinkagain Chirping

May 26, 2010
    I don't know but I gather you've moved everyone till this can be sorted out, because it will happen again..[​IMG]
    JJ

3. Chickiemama1010

Chickiemama1010 Songster

Jan 16, 2010
    Sullivan
    raccoons. I'd bet money on it. they can climb fences. they can kill chickens. They eat em on the spot 9 times outta 10, leaving their discards behind. Usually they eat the soft spots first, crop, head, belly. If they have room they'll finish off the meaty parts-legs, thighs etc. And leave you bloody feathers and bare bones.

Keep in mind also that chickens can be pretty gross creatures. I have experienced this firsthand. if a coon comes along & eats the belly outta one of your birds, unless you remove the remains immediately, you can bet the other birds will pick the bones clean and eat their fallen comrade. chickens are not picky about what they eat. They have no remorse about eating a deceased buddy. Dead = dinner.

4. Chickiemama1010

Chickiemama1010 Songster

Jan 16, 2010
    Sullivan
    theyll come back over and over till you have no reason for them to return. ie no birds left. time to get a coop. Predator proof. And lock em up at night. unless you want to be in the habit of feeding the coons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by