lost 2 chicks in past 3-4 days

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdopler, Aug 1, 2010.

1. jdopler

jdopler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    MOst of the 28 babies seem very healthy and active even this last one I lost today was fine just last night. They seem to have some type of paralysis and just lay on their right side and won't move.. any ideas what this is and what can I do to make sure I don't lose any more? the first one made me very sad but now im paranoid that more will be dying.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    We need a little more information. What were they eating and drinking, what kind of bedding do you use, and where did you get them? Where they shipped/purchased from a feed store or did you hatch them yourself? Do they have a heat lamp?

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:How old are they?

More info needed, please.

Right off the bat I thought too hot, but without any info I can't say.

4. jdopler

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    they are a week and half old on pine shavings, getting medicated chick starter and water, shipped from ideal poultry recieved them all in very good health last friday july 23rd

5. jdopler

Jun 14, 2010
    Roggen, Colorado
    no heat lamp w/o ac my house stays around 76 all day and night i just use ceiling fans and occasionally the swamp cooler. try to block them from the draft of swamp cooler too.

6. BackToMyRoots

BackToMyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Matthews, NC
    Someone should correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we're supposed to start them at 95 degrees the first week and then lower the temp by 5 degrees per week after that. After a week and a half, they should be at about ninety degrees, which would be quite a bit higher than 76. That might not be their only problem, but it could be stressing them out and making them more susceptible to any illness that's out there. Good wishes for you and your new flock!

7. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I'm new, but I've also been told that they should start at 95 degrees the first week, and decrease by 5 degrees each week. 76 is definitely not warm enough for them right now.

8. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    They are too cool, and need a heat lamp at this stage. You decrease the temperature by 5 degrees a week. They are too young to be in such a cool temperature, and if they are over a week old, the temperature in the brooder should be 90.

9. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    I hope the addition of a heat lamp (90-95 degrees, decreasing 5 degrees/week) stops any additional losses. I totally know what you mean about the paranoid thing [​IMG] if you lose a few then it seems that you are checking them every 15 minutes. May as well set up a cot/sleeping bag outside the brooder! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by