Lost 2 chicks last night.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LoneCowboy, Feb 19, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I'm so upset. I went out to feed the babies today and found a dead chick just outside the hover brooder. I was sick. I then lifted the hover and found another chick. Probably smoothered to death. I know you can expect something like 5% loss on baby chicks, but it still doesn't make it easier.

I had to leave for an all day class right after that, so I worried all day long about them. I added an addtional heat source before I left. I came home and they are playing around having a great time. But the waterers had spilled and got all the bedding wet. I had to dig out the wet shavings.

I don't remember having this much trouble the first time I brooded. But then I didn't have to use a hover since it was warmer then. [​IMG] I'm so worried I'll lose more. Can't think of anything else I can do to protect them though. I'm doing all I can now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  2. dacasodivine

dacasodivine Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2008
    So sorry you lost them. [​IMG]

3. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I use paper towels for the first few days, and keep them in my living room where its warm. I really don't like losing chicks especially cause my daughter doesn't take it well. I think that I am going to have to keep them from her until I feel that they are strong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by