Lost 2 girls, now to figure out what took them

tegaily

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 29, 2012
New Brunswick, Canada
We had two hens taken yesterday at dinner time. We didn't hear anything. Only noticed them missing when we went out to fill feeders and waterers and lock them up for the night. We found them further back on the property 1 had a broken neck with feathers all around her the other had her neck/crop and intestinal area eaten. What do you think killed them? They are free range and we have several young chicks here that were not touched.

We had something similiar to this with foxes. Broken necks can be their calling card because they do not like the struggle or the screaming. They are quick, quiet and deadly because they break their necks quickly on the kill and get in and out fast. Just an outside opinion. I was also told that once they find a food source in that area, they will come back which is what we found. You may want to look at putting them in a pen for a while, otherwise you could lose more. Good luck! This can be so sad to lose them like this.

We had two hens taken yesterday at dinner time. We didn't hear anything. Only noticed them missing when we went out to fill feeders and waterers and lock them up for the night. We found them further back on the property 1 had a broken neck with feathers all around her the other had her neck/crop and intestinal area eaten. What do you think killed them? They are free range and we have several young chicks here that were not touched.

My best guess is a Raccoon, as they generally eat the crop/neck area, kill several birds, and are scrounging around in the evening. A fox is possible, though then generally carry the birds away and don't eat them on-site. You might consider setting up some traps for Raccoons and/or foxes. Other than that, since your birds free range, there isn't much you can do to protect them during the day. Perhaps a good guard dog or protective rooster would help.

I am sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Sorry, I know the feeling, mine were lost more than once, or let me rephrase, Bitten to death and left like that, dogs, dogs, I hate neighbors dogs, 14 years back it was my own, I killed him for that, since then, four times my whole flock was murdered,

Wondering if you caught anything? I do not have a lot of experience with owls - I have heard they kill where they find them?

No we still haven't caught anything :(
We have seen a skunk in the yard though so it might have been him, but I had read that they eat the heads and stack and my birds heads were not touched nor were they found together.

Back
Top Bottom