Lost 2 Guineas Weird or Normal Situation

mstrrlm

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 23, 2011
Picayune, MS
I came home and found 1 Leghorn and 7 Guinea's not in the coop so found the leghorn first in window well. And took my flood light and started looking in the trees for my guineas and after checking all trees around NO sign of them! So I decided to make 1 more round as I was walking a different way around the property something moved at my feet, shinned light and was Pearl so caught her and 4 others ALL on ground heard 2 others go over fence but couldn't find them. Next morning they never returned I went and checked other side of fence where they went over and found there feathers in a pile with blood! So why did they roost on ground? They were born June 29, 2001

I'm sorry you lost your guineas.

For the "on the ground" issue, that does seem weird. When ours decide to be brats at night, they head for the trees and we have to go get them out. They also tend to head for the trees when a predator comes (after they're through harassing it!).

If there is a predator very close and no choice, sometimes birds will lay down completely still on the the ground and play dead, but I've really only seen chickens do this, and very young guineas who are small enough to disappear. That would be my only guess, though.

Did you really mean 2001? As in 10+ years old? That would be very cool, if so. If you meant 2011, then they are still young enough to do all kinds of not-smart stuff.

Sounds like someting scared them off the roost.
Guineas can not see well at all even in low light and will stay put till daytime or something scares them.

I have had owls scare mine out of the trees and they are safe because of my dogs but they would be easy pickens otherwise.

Last edited:
Yeah sorry was tired when posted 2011 was DOB I always read that they go into trees at night or when scared. Also, my dogs scared them once, during the day, and they did go into the trees

Back
Top Bottom