Lost 2.......Please Help!!!!!!! Coccidiosis??? (pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chikadeee, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Chikadeee

Chikadeee New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    Hello~

I come to this site often but this is my 1st time posting. I just lost a 2nd chicken this morning and need help!!!

Besides this odd looking poop, my chickens do not have any other symptoms that I have noticed.

Eating and drinking normal.

Found the 1st hen laying down not eating or drinking a few days ago. Moved her to quarantine. She died a few hours later.

Last night I found my rooster in a corner not moving. Moved him to quarantine. He was dead this morning when I went to check on him.

I have been keeping chickens for 6 months so am pretty new at this.

Any and all help is appreciated.

p.s. From pics that I've seen...Cecal and coccidiosis poop look very similar...
    Is there a specific difference between the 2?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Many times there is blood in the stool, but sometimes certain strains don' t have that--it depends on what area of the intestines is affected. If you can find Corid at your feed store, start them on it right away. The dose is 1/2 tsp. of powder or 2 tsp of the liquid Corid in 1 gallon of water. If you can't find Corid (which treats all types of cocci) buy Sulmet or sulfadimethoxine which are sulfa drugs that treat certain cocci strains. Until you get meds you can give buttermilk (best) or milk with a little cornmeal or feed mixed in. Don't put anything else in the water such as ACV or vitamins, and You have to make sure they drink it. Change solution every days and treat 5 days.

3. Chikadeee

Chikadeee New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    Thank you so much for your reply. My flock is being treated with Corid. Hopefully that helps. :)

4. bluegrasslady

bluegrasslady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Auburn ky
    I have cocci in my little guys. Discovered the problem tonight. Will get some Corid into them in the morning, think kefir is a good sub for the buttermilk? I gave them some earlier mixed with an egg yolk seemed like a good idea. I have the three poorliest in a "hospital" box inside. Had a light on them earlier though they are past that age. I turned it off so they could sleep better. Anything else I can do tonight you think? Suggestions welcome. The one is so poorly I don't know if he will make it or not:(.

5. bluegrasslady

bluegrasslady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Auburn ky
    Update: the three worst I brought inside and fed kefir/egg yolk to last night and this morning look considerably better this evening. I finally got my hands on some Corid and am going to start them on that but apparently kefir/free range egg yolk is helpful. I had heard free range eggs were good for calves who had scours, which is coccidiosis, so perhaps there is something to that. Just glad they aren't dead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by