Lost 2 Plymouth Barred Rocks last night...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TXCountryGal, May 13, 2010.

1. TXCountryGal

TXCountryGal Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    I got up this morning at 7 am and found 2 of my 4 month old Barred Rocks dead, nothing was eaten on them. It appeared they were swallowed head first and then spit back out. We had this happen to another of our Barred Rocks this past Saturday. We have not seen any snakes on our property but are quite sure there are, as we live on 125 acres. We have our chicken coop and the area of the yard we let the chickens run in double fenced, and we are completely at a loss as to what is getting our chickens. They are about 4 months old....Any ideas what this could be???

Christine

2. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    I think it does sound like a snake. I'm so sorry that happened to you! [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I had the same thing happen to two of three RIR pullets I used to have. I caught and killed a chicken snake the following evening next to their house. There's no doubt it was coming back for the third pullet.

4. TXCountryGal

May 12, 2010
    I think it is a snake too but we have not seen one in or around the chickens, we had one incident with a hawk and he got one of my RIR, but this is happening at night or very early in the AM. Guess I am going to have to do some snake hunting [​IMG]

5. TXCountryGal

May 12, 2010
    Well we found the culprit that was killing my chickens. This is only half of him, he was over 3 feet long. He was at the chicken coop about midnight last night!

[​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Looks like a copperhead huh? Glad you got em!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by