Lost 2 Rhode Island Reds

Mikefinger

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 18, 2011
Upstate NY
Hello All, last week I purchased a new flock consisting of 4 each of Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps. Since then I have found 2 of the Reds dead. The first time several of the other chickens were pecking at its carcass and i found the second one tonight when i closed up the coop and noticed one missing and searched the pen. I'm not sure if the Reds are being bullied by the rest of the flock or being killed by a predator and later pecked on by the remainder of the flock. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

It sounds to me like a predator issue. Chickens will naturally peck at something that has red blood on it, but since you have lost 2 and 1 is missing, I would look for any small holes in your coop and run that a small raccoon or fox could get through. Many predators will kill, such as coyotes, dogs, cats, oppossums, foxes, owls, weasels, rats, and others. Many things can get through 1 inch chicken wire or reach through and kill. Sorry for your loss.

Look at the blood on the body. Fresh wounds bleed, post mortem pecks/bites don't bleed.

If these birds were pecked to death slowly there would be a fair amount of blood matted around all of the peck wounds.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help and sorry for being absent for a while. I have determined that a hawk has been killing them. I saw it land in the pen among them but they scattered and ran for the coop. It has been hanging around a lot lately but flys off as soon as it sees me now thanks to the pellet gun and slingshot. I will be putting poultry netting over the top shortly!

Back
Top Bottom