Lost 3 baby cochins...so sad.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Deesquared, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Deesquared

Deesquared Just Hatched

Jan 13, 2017
    I've been having a hard time with my first batch of baby chicks.

Originally I had 5 chicks, all from a March 1st hatching date. Brought home on Sunday
    1 Buff Orpington
    2 'Ameraucanas' (likely Easter Eggers)
    1 Black Cochin
    1 Blue Cochin

After one night at home, the black cochin passed away quite quickly on Monday. She was very weak, so I tried to dip her beak in water to get some fluid into her. I also put a drop of Nutri-Drench on her beak. She was too weak to eat though, and she passed away while I was trying to nurse her back to health.

Within 3 days, the blue cochin was looking weak as well. She couldn't walk very well and was very stumbly. She also would pull one leg up and would not put any weight on it, but it didn't look injured. I had to shield her from the other chicks while she ate, but I was glad she was eating. By Thursday afternoon, she had passed away as well.

On Friday, I bought two more chicks, another blue and a black cochin. Well, the blue is doing well, but the poor little black was always looking a little shy and timid. She was eating and drinking, but tonight, Sunday, she just sat under the heat pad. When I picked her up, her eyes were half closed. I couldn't believe another one was dying. She was fine earlier today. I put a drop of nutri-drench on her beak, and tried to get her to drink some water. I held her, and within minutes she gave a stretch and passed away.

I don't know why the cochins are giving me so much trouble. The other three are crazy strong and active. The blue is doing fine for now, but if anything happens to her, I will just be so dissapointed.

I think the bigger ones were picking on the weaker little ones, but I can't believe they just up and died.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Where did you get the chicks from, private breeder or feed store? I would contact whom ever you're getting the chicks from, let them know of the problem you're having see what they say. Others will peep, maybe more help than I've been. Hope your Cochin makes it, it's very discouraging & sad when chicks don't make it but it happens.

3. Deesquared

Deesquared Just Hatched

Jan 13, 2017
    They are from a local chick supplier. Not a hatchery...they order in the chicks from hatcheries then sell them.

They were very helpful and concerned when I went in to replace the two cochins. Asked me what my setup was like, what type of bedding I was using, etc...
    They made sure the two new chicks were healthy - no pasty butt, alert and active. They really did look good when I got them. But that poor little black one always was just so timid.

One thing I'm wondering is if I should have used medicated feed. These chicks are vaccinated for Mareks but not cocci. I'm pretty sure they didn't have cocci though. Their poop was normal - no blood. They were just weak.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have you tried getting one to the vet so it could be autopsied? Then you might discover what they are dying from. Obviously it is something with the cochins. You mentioned it not using a leg. One of the symptoms of Mareks is paralysis of the leg(s). If your other chicks start doing this, I would think it is Mareks. It is highly contagious and any survivors will be carriers for life.

You could also post on the "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cure," thread and see what they think. Also check out Mareks via the search box, to see if symptoms sound like what the cochins had.

Did you tell the seller how the 2 cochins died?

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They may be sold by a local supplier, but, you did say they were ordered from a hatchery. So they are hatchery birds. Would you know what hatchery they were ordered from? I have read on BYC that Pruitt (spelling ??) had closed down

6. Deesquared

Deesquared Just Hatched

Jan 13, 2017
    Wow, I wouldn't have even considered Mareks. The other three are super healthy and active, so I assumed it wouldn't have been anything contagious. I will have a look at that for sure.

I don't think I would be able to get it autopsied. I don't know if anyplace around here would do that, and I would wonder how much something like that would cost. This is an $8 chick. I know that sounds terrible, but I'm trying to be practical about this.

I did let the sellers know how each chick died. They were confused and said that they hadn't had any problems with the other cochins.

7. Deesquared

Deesquared Just Hatched

Jan 13, 2017
    I'm not sure where they get their birds from. I've tried to find out with no luck, but I didn't want to ask them outright as I was already feeling like I was accusing them of selling me sick birds (which I wasn't!). I was just trying to get information.
    I'm not sure I should name them here, because I don't want to give them bad press. My other birds are fine, and like I said, they were very helpful when I picked up my replacements!

8. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Privett hatchery is still open , that is I just looked at their 2017 sales sheet on-line. Best, Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by