1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost 3 hens and a roo. Two other roos have bloody heads

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Apopka Cluckers, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Apopka Cluckers

Apopka Cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    I am so upset. I have never had problems with predators before where I am at. I saw a hawk once but the dog was enough to deter it from taking any of my little flock.

Last night, it seems, something came in and got one of my full grown buffs, 2 full grown barred rocks, and a full grown banty roo. Nothing left but 3 piles of feathers in the yard and 1 pile of feathers in the coop. What could have stripped their feathers but leave nothing else?

I also have a banty frizzle roo and, my pride, a banty D'uccle roo who have both had their heads attacked. The D'uccle had to have it's face rinsed off because the blood dried it's eyes shut. Nothing else was done to these two which leads me to believe they might have attacked eachother. Does that make sense?

My girls with get locked up and I'll be standing gaurd tonight on the steps to try and spy whatever is doing it but any help would be appreciated on identifying what it might be.

Thanks

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm thinking a weasel or raccoons. Also, be sure to check the loft of your coop to be sure nothing is sleeping there. Once a predator starts, it usually wipes out the flock, so you are going to have to take some serious steps to seal off the birds and/or get the predator...

3. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Racoons have taken my chickens off and left only piles of feathers. It will be back, probably in a day or so when it gets hungry again. I hope you get it before any more chickies are done in. I HATE racoons, one even killed my cat!! [​IMG] I got it the next night though.

Sounds as if your Frizzle and D'uccle roos got into it themselves, maybe from the stress of seeing all that happened.

So sorry for you losses. [​IMG] I had an adorable black Frizzle last year and what a character he was. Sold him to a woman that wanted to show him.

4. jaboo81

jaboo81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2009
    New Braunfels TX
    I have lost birds to the sorry racoons also. They will keep coming back until they are taken care of for good!

5. Apopka Cluckers

Apopka Cluckers Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    I found the culprit or at least one of them. There was a coyote just sitting outside my fence last night in the same spot that had been dug to gain access the last time. A few .22 rounds scared him away but no permanent damage [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by