Lost 3 Hens in one week!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by plymouthrock, Aug 1, 2013.

1. plymouthrock

plymouthrock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2012
    Terryville, Connecticut
    I lost three hens in one week! Fox or coyote from the looks of it. I found two security breaches that I mended. I have a coop with a 6 x 6 x 6 walk in run attached to the coop. The enemy looks to have jumped on top of the coop and entered where the run meets the coop. I have since nailed a 2 x 4 at the joins tightening the available entrance area and stapled the chicken wire to the coop it self so any critters should not be able to slide through. It seems that once it slid down into the run it was trapped. It busted through the back of the egg / nest box to finally escape the coop. All repaired. I also found that there was some clearance at the base of the coop and the base of the run. I wedged bricks in the opening/ My poor Plymouth Rock survivors are scared as heck to be home. When I let them out to the yard they will not go freely back to the coop and I have to pick them up and place them back in. Survivors hardly eat or drink as well let alone lay again What should I do?

2. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    It'll take them a few days to get back to laying after this. About the food and water, I always just think, "If they are hungry they'll eat, If they're thirsty, they'll drink." They should be fine. I hope your vermin doesn't come back!

3. plymouthrock

Sep 12, 2012
    Terryville, Connecticut
    The coop and run is at the foot of an unsettled part of my property. I have since took my machete to the brush clearing it. When I did I found where that lil ******* was camping out.. a clearing right next to the fresh water spring... What is better than fresh water and fresh chicken to a predator! I was thinking clearing it would scare away the predator since it would have no where to hide...

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I wouldn't count on chicken wire and bricks to be secure at all. The coon will move bricks and demolish chickenwire, and I can't believe that bigger predators won't do even more!! I would use hardware cloth, well attached, and concrete blocks or some other really good foundation, for more security. Bad experiences here! Mary

5. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I wouldn't count on chicken wire and bricks to be secure at all. The coon will move bricks and demolish chickenwire, and I can't believe that bigger predators won't do even more!! I would use hardware cloth, well attached, and concrete blocks or some other really good foundation, for more security. Bad experiences here! Mary

6. plymouthrock

Sep 12, 2012
    Terryville, Connecticut
    Hardware cloth encompases the lower section of my 6 ft tall run. So 3 fit up from the ground while chicken wirewraps the upper level. The bricks are for4 underneath the actual coop where it meets the run. I cant shove cinder blocks or the like in there. Perhaps I can hardware cloth that little area as well....

7. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    Sorry for your loss!! Chicken wire isn't strong enough to keep out most predator. We use hardware cloth on the run, all windows and vent holes. We buried patio stones sideways in the ground all round coop and run. We also close the pop door every night. Good luck.
    [​IMG]
    12" patio stones buried sideways.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  8. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I have a very secure coop for night, and a wire and chickenwire run that will keep hawks out.. This year We had a daytime fox attack, so I kept the birds in the coop and run full time. I also ran two strands of HOT hot wire around the coop to keep him out. Normally my flock free ranges in daytime and is locked in the coop at night, but if I loose one bird during the day, lockdown happens until the situation is resolved. Mary

9. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I have a very secure coop for night, and a wire and chickenwire run that will keep hawks out.. This year We had a daytime fox attack, so I kept the birds in the coop and run full time. I also ran two strands of HOT hot wire around the coop to keep him out. Normally my flock free ranges in daytime and is locked in the coop at night, but if I loose one bird during the day, lockdown happens until the situation is resolved. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by