Lost 3 meaties, my fault...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by CDennis, Nov 24, 2010.

1. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I am so mad at myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had my 30 3 week old meaties in two large Rubbermaid containers while I cleaned out their brood box and made more room in the shop. When I came back in to get my little guys 3 were dead. I have been so careful and up until now and I haven't lost any. I am so mad at myself!!!!

2. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Meaties are a different animal, brutes at times, really. Sorry about your loss, so file this away in your mind and learn from it. I think most folks have lost a meat bird due to operator error. Don't be too hard on yourself, as more will likely die. Actually a 10% loss ratio is considered normal. I've lost 3 out of 48 so far, but butcher day is only two days away, and I've been babying them to get to Friday in the 15-25 degree weather we've been having.

3. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Yeah my head slapping death was when a meatie drowned. My layer chicks were smart and a few marbles in the water font was fine... but I lost a meatie to drowning. I literally had to fill the water tray completely with marbles instead of just a bottom layer. [​IMG]

4. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    Well note to self,

Meat birds and brains are not placed in the same body..LOL

Thanks for sharing, I'm thinking about either getting meat birds or caponing my dual meat or a combination of both..

Hope the rest make it to slaughter..

Christal

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:My meat birds were just as smart as any other chick, I think it depends on the bird. I have had many not-so-smart heritage chicks too.

6. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    boy my frankenchickens are totally dull mentally! lol

Hey Christal where in P'cola are you? I am out at the 9 mile rd corridor

7. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    I live in near michigan, and mobile area... What kind of birds are you raising for meat?

Christal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by