LOST 4 CHICKENS IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ttbkremer, May 5, 2009.

1. ttbkremer

ttbkremer Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I just moved our Rhode Island Red Hens into our new chicken coop, I lost 4 within 24 hours. What can I do to prevent this to happen again? I am not quite sure what is going on. They are huddleing in the corners. Once they die the others start pecking on them.

2. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Sorry to hear this.. It sounds like they may be too cold. How old are they? If they are huddling, they are cold and if they are too young and get chilled, they will die. Could they be getting trampled?

3. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    how old are they? how many in there? The more info you can give, the better to get help. are they young and piling up? Do you have a light on them? Are they on shavings?

4. ttbkremer

Nov 7, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    They are eight weeks old and yes I have a light on them. We have shavings down also. I just went out and checked them again, I am afraid I am going to loose some more tonight. I don't know what to do. They are in the corner again all trying to get on top of each other.

5. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    The are too cold if the are trying to get on top of each other

Do you have a light bulb or a heat lamp?
    Maybe move it down closer to the floor [​IMG]

6. ttbkremer

Nov 7, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I do have the light close to the floor they are not even under the light what gets me. If they were cold they should be under the light right?

7. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    Is the coop draft free? If they are huddled together but not under the light you could have a draft that is going under the light.

8. ttbkremer

Nov 7, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yes it IS draft free it's insulated and I have all the windows shut with a heat lamp close to the floor.

9. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    I don't know
    i'm new at this
    maybe they would be happy in a box in the coop ? and it would keep the heat around them ?
    I'm sorry you lost some I hope someone can figure this out

10. shawnm2639

shawnm2639 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodlake Ca
    Maybe two lights? I agree if they are on top of each other they need heat. I hope you don't loose any tonight. Good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by