Lost 5 of 31 CX from Meyer's Hatchery

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Peruvian, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Peruvian

Peruvian Songster

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    This was my first time ordering from Meyers (I've ordered from Moyers and Welp in the past). I ordered 30 male chicks. Received 31 but 2 died in the box - a first for me. Then within 48 hrs, 3 more died. All had water and food, a 95 deg. brooder, etc. I have raised CX for several years now.

I emailed Meyers to let them know, but didn't get any reply. I called today and they said they were booked out until mid-Sept and couldn't replace my chicks until then. Unfortunately that would be too late this far north so they credited me the $6.95 for the chicks (not shipping). This leaves me with an extra 70lbs or so of feed as well!

Very disappointing result from a hatchery that is well known on this board. I'm going back to Moyer's for CX and their K22s in the future.

2. Well, I have had just the opposite experience from Meyer. We had 200 chicks delivered for 4H birds this spring and none were lost in the box. We only lost 3 out of the 200 before butchering. We have received almost 2,000 chicks from Meyer in the past two years will similar successes.

It is pretty harsh to pass judgement on a hatchery based on one order of 30 birds.

Jim

3. mstricer

mstricer Crowing

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I've never had a problem with Meyers, sometimes you do lose a few, this is the first I lost 4 all due to my error of it being a very hot day and I left the heat lamp on and they got too hot. No one else has died since I removed the heat lamp.

4. wsdareme

wsdareme Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:With the weather as hot as it has been, you're lucky to have only lost 5 birds. And remember, once they leave the hatchery, they're at the mercy of the postal service. I've received chicks from Meyers, and they were all healthy and thriving. They're not a big hatchery, and this isn't exactly chick season, so it's no surprise that they can't replace them until mid-September.

If you were expecting 30 chicks and now have 26, why do you have 70 pounds of extra feed? That seems like a lot of feed for 4 birds... [​IMG]

I wouldn't hesitate to order from Meyers again. Just my opinion.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Im sorry you had this bad expeience with them-Mine is opposite. I got meaties 2 weeks ago-I ordered 25got 26 and all are alive and healthy-never even used a heating lamp for them..

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am confused too. Do you buy your feed in advance? 70lbs of feed does seem to be a lot for just 4 birds. Given the summer that most of the country has had only loosing 4 this year, and getting a credit for the 4 chicks seems to be very good customer service. The shipping wouldn't refund, because it is what the post office charges the hatchery. It would have cost the same shipping fees if you had shipped 20 or 30 chicks. At this point I would still be happy with any hatchery that I bought the chicks from.

7. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Songster

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:70 lbs for 5 birds (as stated, not 4) is not inconceivable in the least....... think about it... 5 birds dressing out at 5ish lbs = 25 lbs... if it takes around 3 lbs of feed to put on a pound of weight then 70 lbs is not a lot of feed for the number of birds.

8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I guess that I would then start looking around my area for someone giving a way roos. It would make up for the lost chicks this year, and still should cost you anymore feed expense.

9. annageckos

annageckos Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    Quote:70 lbs for 5 birds (as stated, not 4) is not inconceivable in the least....... think about it... 5 birds dressing out at 5ish lbs = 25 lbs... if it takes around 3 lbs of feed to put on a pound of weight then 70 lbs is not a lot of feed for the number of birds.

She got five birds, but didn't order that many. She got one extra.

10. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Songster

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado

She got five birds, but didn't order that many. She got one extra.

lost five birds...
    ok, i'll give you that, that only 4 were bought..

regardless, for 4 or 5 birds..... 70 lbs of feed is by NO means inconceivable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by