Lost 52 today..

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by aimeeinwv, Nov 28, 2010.

1. aimeeinwv

aimeeinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

The owner of the dogs that have killed nearly my entire flock now is saying "what can I say but sorry". She has (after being fined by the county) allowed them back out to run again. She has no care nor consideration for others. She worries about losing her money to fines, however my total investment plus loss of income is over $12,000 for these chickens. We even had to put up a very expensive run to keep these dogs away from the large flock. I'm especilly devestated for the loss of Patches, my 3 month old baby with one eye that was raised in my pocket, such a sweet baby girl. They tore into my baby chick pen and killed every one of them also, then tore the door apart in my big chicken run and demolished my flock, the poor babies had no where to run from them. It was carnage. Thank God for my family and neighbors that heard the commotion and came to the chickens aid. They were able to get the dogs, Greg Sidenstricker, our animal control agent took them to the shelter and is citing this woman AGAIN. He was off today, but came out and took care of things. Thank you Greg, My nieghbors Ward & Frank, Cousin Elizabeth and Aunt Tonya for the help. This is my worst nightmare. I have now lost my farm income :eek:(

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    you should sue the dogs owners for your losses, and demand to have those dogs put down

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    How aweful.

Hopefully they do not give her the dogs back. So sad that it happened.

[​IMG]

4. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Wow, I haven't lost that many in all my years of raising chickens put together, and I raise HUNDREDS each year! I can't even imagine how you must feel!

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Get the dogs put down, that is soooo sad and not right at all.

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

You need to take them to court to collect for your losses. I HATE irresponsible neighbors! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

That's just sickening. They owe you big time. Make them pay.

Imp

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[​IMG]

I am so sorry for your loss.

Is there any way you can get some more baby chicks and get back on target?

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You have to press charges. I hope you called the police/sheriff.

And then you may have to sue.

Unfortunately, it sounds like those dogs need to be destroyed.

10. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    [​IMG] I am really sorry. I have had it happen to me too. Years ago.
    My neighbors black Labs came to my yard and killed over 300 birds in nothing flat. I went to their house and cussed them up one side and down the other, but 10 years later there dogs dont leave there property.
    My newer neighbor has a yellow Lab, I warned him the first time he came into my yard.
    It is a hard choice but that is the reason most of my flock free ranges now. I keep "my" dogs, 4 of them in a huge square around all the animals. And at night all the flock gets in the middle.
    I would tell you to sue but I know that cost money. I dont know why people let their dogs run loose. I would be heartbroken if I found one of my dogs ran over in the road. And mortified if they went on someone's property and caused such destruction.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by