Lost 6 today, totally heartbroken..I let them down :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kimntep, Aug 7, 2011.

1. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    I wasn't feeling well last night and went to bed early. I asked my son to put everyone to bed as he'd done numerous times. I got up one more time and asked if he locked up the birds and he said he did. I woke very early to a tussle and didn't think much of it, only to get up a couple of hours later, look out the bathroom window, and see the yard door open. Instantly panicked I ran out to find my beloved Polly nowhere..then I found her comb. I began to search for her and instead found one of my young RSLs in the azaleas..nothing but skin, feathers and feet. I cried like a baby, checked on everyone else again and have attempted to go about my day.

I left for two hours to pick up my daughter at my folk's house and returned to my husband and sons to be told that three more were taken while I was gone in broad daylight. The dogs were going crazy on my son's bed and trying to look out the window when my youngest saw a fox run across the yard not 20 feet from our front door, heading toward the chicken yard. My husband jumped up and got his shot gun, but the fox saw him and took off to the back of the property. He looked everywhere for the birds, but they were nowhere to be found and he locked the rest back in their yard. He doesn't know them like I do, so he couldn't tell me who the victims were. I went out to see them to find that four more were missing, not three. My sweet young Wellies (Ember and India), my equally sweet young RSL (Ruby) and my older RSL (Mimi). All of the young birds had just started laying and Mimi was my giant egg layer.

I thought I was doing such a good job. My husband often makes fun of me for how much I clean the coop, how many treats they get, and how much time I spend with them. Ultimately it was my job to protect them and I feel like I've totally let them down. I can't stand the thought of the suffering they endured.

Now I'm concerned for my old cat and little dog. I had no idea foxes could be so brazen during the day. I used to love seeing them around the farm, but now I'm just overwhelmed and still sobbing over chickens for crying out loud! Does it get easier?

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

I'm so sorry, you sound heart broken [​IMG] that critter will be back make sure you have everyone in for the night [​IMG]

3. Mama_Bear

Mama_Bear Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2007
    North Tx
    I am sorry for your loss.

4. Harvest

Harvest Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Danbury
    So sorry for your loss.
    Yes, lock them up as soon as you can after dusk. Now that the fox have the taste, they will be back every time they can:(
    I had to make a large run to save mine from Fox.
    Every once and a while I see prints in the mud and know they are lurking.
    T

5. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Don't beat yourself up. Sometimes these things just happen, no matter how good we are at caring for them. [​IMG]

6. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    My condolences. It sounds like you were doing a great job keeping them safe, and this instance of not locking them up was a fluke. You were sick, and your son forgot...It happens to everyone.

If your cat and dog are very, very small and/or frail, the fox might be a threat, but foxes are themselves quite small, and it seems very unlikely that one could take down a healthy cat or dog of about 10 lbs or larger. One of my cats chases them away. The foxes here will not cross any of my 4 cats, if the cats see them coming. I don't have a dog, but would think a fox would be even less likely to challenge a dog.

7. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    [​IMG]

8. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    Oh hun! I feel so sad for you! [​IMG] It sounds like you were such a good mama to them. Try to pick yourself up and focus on continuing to be a good mama to their flock mates. This was not your fault. Focus on the pleasant memories of the ones you lost, not how you lost them. Hope your heart can heal in time.

10. chickenlover98

chickenlover98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Hogwarts
    Just about 2 weeks ago, we lost 2 chickens in three days. (not nearly as bad as what happened to you but still heartbreaking) [​IMG] We've had to have our chickens on major lockdown mode since then. One of us is always out there with them. [​IMG] [​IMG] We were grilling when we heard a commotion in the trees not 7 feet away from us! If only i could have seen the predator! I felt like I could have done something to stop it. But I probably couldn't have. Don't feel like it's your fault, these things can happen to anyone at anytime. Best Wishes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by