Lost 8, EIGHT hens yesterday...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Andaloosa, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Andaloosa

Andaloosa Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Lago Vista
    Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what might possibly take out 8 hens in one day? There was one location right under the hen house, where there was a pile of feathers, but nothing else. Today my neighbor told me he found two carcasses somewhere else on my property not even really chewed on.
    I think it's their dog (Border Collie cross that wanders at will), but I can't prove it. Is there anything else it could be? What could take out 8 hens in one day - during the day? And not eat the kill?

We're in Central Texas and our lot is covered in short scrub cedar trees, so we can't even see the chicken house from our house.

Thanks for the input.

Also, where does everyone suggest I order a live trap from (one big enough for a Border Collie).

Thanks!

P.S. I had called the neighbor last night to find out where their dog was all day yesterday. They weren't home, "but it's too hot for her to go wandering around" (bah! how can they know when they aren't home and have no fence to keep her in?)

2. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    The dog did it.

3. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Sounds like the dog to me too...[​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Neighbors dog.

I'm worried about loosing birds to the heat today.

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Dog!

6. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Sound's like a dog to me.We lost 17 duck's and a turkey before We figured out was a neighbor's 2 black Lab's and A German shepard.Duck's were just laying everywhere and the Tom turkey.I finaly caught them in the act a few week's later.And about figure they are the one's that did my 2 peahen's and one of my male ones in around that time also.Anyway the dog's were put down by another neighbor because they had been warned Numerous time's about the dog's.Fox Coyote coon's etc. usualy dont leave the bodie's.Coon's will usualy try to eat on site.Fox can make several kill's in a night spring/summer to feed young and can and do hunt daylight as well but will take prey and bury it.Sound's like a "Sport Kill" so most likely dog.

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I agree, it's probably a dog and doing it mostly out of boredom.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Until you actually SEE the dog on your property and bothering your chickens, I would be very careful about accusing it of killing your chickens. It could have been any number of things - coon, fox, coyote.... It MIGHT have been the dog, but you'd better have proof before confronting the owners with it. Get a game cam, take pictures so you have proof. You might also want to put up some better fencing for your birds to protect them from other animals besides a dog.

9. urbanfarmer101

urbanfarmer101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:OMG that part about the live trap is so funny! Post a photo if you catch the bugger! sorry something got your birds.

10. UrbanChick101

UrbanChick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Eastern Iowa
    We live in the city and are about to get chickens, we have a cocker, although two of our backyard neighbors have a lab and a huskie type dog, We are doing what we can to keep them away. Our coop is away from thier plain view, and we have two fences between thier dogs and our chickens. Thier dogs have never come over the fence in the 6 years we have lived here, however, since they are "bird dogs" it makes me think twice about protection from them. Once they get the taste of the blood, they will always come back... Good luck, get a video camera out there and catch the predator. In our ordinance with the city, the nieghbor's would only be responsible for the price of the chicken, since we are bringing the chickens into town where there are dogs that may naturally attack a bird. States nothing would happen to the dog for coming in our yard and killing our poultry. Sorry to hear about your loss... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by