Lost a 7 week old Barred Rock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PinkCoopDeVille, Jan 7, 2014.

1. PinkCoopDeVille

PinkCoopDeVille Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2014
    North Georgia
    A couple of days ago, we lost a 7 week old barred rock. She was in the brooder with two silkies (also 7 weeks) and was acting normally that morning. Checked on them a couple of hours later and she was stiff. Could she have been injured by one of the others? They were a bit bigger than she was but she seemed to hold her own with them. One silkie likes to peck and chase and flap her wings at them but I didn't think she would injure her to the point of killing her. Anyone have any feedback? We are looking to replace her from the lady we got all our chickens from (same age barred rock). She was my favorite and had a cute, sassy little personality.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. hensintheHOUse

hensintheHOUse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2013
    NewYork
    I am so sorry for your loss. :( that is sad...

It could be a lot of reasons.. but the weather may be the one of the cause? I am just guessing..
      What temperature do you keep them at? Are they fully feathered yet?

3. PinkCoopDeVille

PinkCoopDeVille Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2014
    North Georgia
    We had them in the brooder and kept the red light on them plus a space heater next to the brooder with it being as cold as it has. She still had fuzz on her neck but was feathered everywhere else. The silkies are never really going to be full-feathered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by