Lost a baby 5 days old!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LibbyPchickadee, Mar 4, 2016.

1. LibbyPchickadee

LibbyPchickadee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2016
    Summit Point, WV
    Today we looked down, for the hundredth time into the brroder (24 inches deep) and one of our cuckoo marans flew the coop! Gone! No signs of bedding in the room or anything! My mastiff had only walked by earlier and has never been agressive with the chicks. Anyone ever had a peep go missing? Did she fly out? Ya think the dog ate her?

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sorry you lost a chick. It doesn't take some of them long to find their wings, that's why a cover is important. Hope everyone else is present and accounted for.

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I had a chick go missing from the brooder on one occasion. It was a bantam chick who managed to slid right out of the cage she and the others were being kept in. My border collie was present at the time of the escape and she had the chick inside of her mouth.

Somehow, the baby escaped without injury and is now a thriving four year old hen.

I'm sad to hear you have had a little one go missing without a trace. If a chick separates from the others it will instinctually call out loudly to contact the group. If you do not hear anything, I don't find that to be a good sign.

It's possible that your dog could have got ahold of the youngster, but it's hard to say for sure. Often times dogs who don't show signs of aggression towards adult birds will with chicks.

My best to you, let us know if you find it!

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Check the dog's poop. You may be able to solve this "mystery".

I had this happen this past year, though. I only had six chicks, so you'd think it'd be simple to keep track. but one turned up missing. Where did I finally find it? Tragically, it had scooted under a tote lid I'd placed on the floor to catch overflow water from the drinker.

I hadn't even noticed, it was so fast. It was a pathetic dark shadow under the lid, and had suffocated very quickly. I'm still sick about it ten months later.

There's an outside chance, if your chicks was two weeks or older, that it managed to hop out of the brooder. You need to go look in all the nooks and crannies of your house, under rugs, behind drapes, and you may still find it.

1 person likes this.
  5. LibbyPchickadee

Mar 4, 2016
    Summit Point, WV
    OH MY GOODNESS....found the baby chick...in a pile of clothes in my sons room...alive and well....and perfectly cozy!!! This is CRAZINESS! Brooder is covered!!!!

6. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    :yiipchick

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    :weee
    What a relief! I'm so happy for you!

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I had a hunch you'd find it someplace like that! Now, aren't you glad you kept looking?

Happy, happy day!!

9. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

She found an MLP...Mama Laundry Pile :lol:

10. LibbyPchickadee

Mar 4, 2016
    Summit Point, WV
    She seems well after her return to the brooder! Her siblings also seem glad to have her back!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by