Lost a baby jumbo today :(

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by shelleyd2008, Jan 18, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I went in the room this morning to feed. My baby jumbos are still inside in a box that is not covered. Every once in a while one will get out, but they are usually pretty good about staying in. I have a cage to put them in now, I just have to wait till tomorrow to get a brooder light and they will be going outside.
    Anyway, there are some young pekins in there as well, in another uncovered brooder, right next to the quail. Evidently one of the quail got in the pekins box and managed to get inside their gallon jug waterer. It looked like the pekins probably killed it, since there is not so much water in there that it would drown. Or maybe it got too cold, since the pekins don't have any heat source (they are about 4 weeks old).
    The only good thing I can say about it is that it was one of the males, but I don't think I have that many males to begin with. I believe there were only about 4 or 5, and the rest (out of 16) look to be female.

Ok well that's it, my stupid move for the day. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  2. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    Don't feel too bad, accidents happen. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Awh Shelley! Im sorry to hear that!!!! Atleast it WAS a male for sure! I'd rather loose males than the hens....I'm always miserable when it's a hen I lose. It's sad to lose the males too but most end up being culls anyhow.

[​IMG]

4. mario49

mario49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Eubank KY
    Quote:i hope it wasnt any of mine lol that im getting! any ways how are all the others doing i still have my cage ready when u are? pm me! :*)

5. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Aww [​IMG] I'm so sorry. Those little buggers just find the strangest ways to die. [​IMG]
    -Spooky

6. Quail1994

Quail1994 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2011
    WOW!!
    Don't there normally hatch more males than females,you're lucky to have that much females!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by