Lost a beautiful little girl today

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by yomama, Dec 5, 2010.

1. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

This afternoon I went out to do some stuff outside, and found one of my favorite hens, Venus, dead. Not just dead, but mangled so badly in the neck area, that her head was only hanging on to the rest of her body by her trachea. She was a 9 month old Blue Andalusian. I know that my dog, Lacey, did it. She was the only dog outside all morning. Venus had snuck out of the chicken yard. She is known to fly over the run, so I usually keep her one wing trimmed. Guess it had grown out just enough again. What's weird, is that Lacey, has been so good with the chickens. My chickens are NEVER out with my dogs, even supervised. They have their own yard. My neighbors chickens had even been sneaking into our yard, and none of my dogs would even chase them, Lacey included. There were even a few times in the past, before I started trimming wings on some, that some of my hens would sneek out while the dogs were outside, and no one got bothered. The chickens were even walking around the dogs, and the dogs could care less! Guess something just got into Lacey today, and she decided to go after Venus. It's just so hard, because not only was she one of my most beautiful hens, but she was also one of my most friendliest. And she was getting friendlier by the day. I don't hate Lacey, she is a dog, and dogs have prey drives. Just stinks that it happened. It will definitely make me check on my chickens even more than I do now. Just thought I would share, since I know that there are many BYC'ers out there that have chickens and dogs. Thanks for listening.

RIP Venus [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  2. CaitlynNichols

CaitlynNichols Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Newfields, NH
    Aw, I'm so sorry for the loss. She's such a beautiful bird!
    [​IMG]

3. Kavaji

Kavaji Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2010
    San Antonio, Texas
    Sorry to hear that.

4. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry for you loss. It always hurts so much more when we loose our favorites. Rest in Peace Venus. [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    How sad you lost her through your own dog.

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    how sad. she was real pretty. [​IMG]

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    So sorry...she is a beauty... [​IMG]

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I am so sorry, it is hard to lose our little ones, we love them more than people understand.

9. I am sssssssssssssoooooooooo sorry to hear about your little girl. It is so hard to lose one, let alone to see it mangled. my heart goes out to you my dear.
    [​IMG]

10. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I have had one of my dogs attack chickens - he hasn't been near any for about 6 months now, he is kept well away from them, even if they stray he is never allowed to get anywhere near them - it is hard to see him restricted ( He never attacks the ducks and geese ) but it is in the interests of my chickens to be safe from any predator!

I am so sad for your loss - unfortunately these events can happen despite our careful handling of situations... I am pleased that you do not blame your dog - it is only following instincts!

She was so lovely - VERY pretty - R.I.P. little girl

Suzie
    [​IMG]:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by