Lost a bird last night - what took it?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by imthedude, Nov 1, 2010.

1. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    Went out to lock up the coop shortly after dark last night to find three birds missing. One was hiding in some bushes near the coop, and one was ambling around in the dark trying to find a place to bed down for the night. Strange because they usually put themselves to bed every night. Never did find the third bird. This morning when I went out to let the girls out of the coop into the run, I was hopeful that she had just misplaced herself last night and would be waiting happily at the run door to go in and have some breakfast. Instead of finding her, I found two piles of feathers - one right outside the coop and one about 15 yards from the coop. Didn't find the carcass anywhere nearby.

I last saw all 9 birds last evening around 5:45 playing happily in the backyard, but since they didn't put themselves to bed like normal, that tells me that whatever predator did the damage came between 5:45 and dusk or was close enough to give the birds pause and make them take cover and not chance going to the coop for bed. We've had 'yotes and foxes around before. Don't think a hawk (unless it was a really BIG one) could carry off a fully grown buff orp hen but maybe I'm wrong. Same with an owl. A coon would not take the carcass along would it? Same with a skunk, and we don't have possums that I know of in northern Colorado.

My money is on the 'yote or the fox. What do you guys/gals think? Whatever it is, I'll be waiting with a 30-06 at dusk this evening.

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    sounds like something big like a coyote, fox or bobcat, even a domestic dog would do this.

3. biggin

biggin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    Georgia
    Dude, I would put my money on a fox. A friend of mine lost several birds to foxes earlier in the year. Hope you get him before you lose anymore.

4. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    definitely think it's a fox now. found a trail of feathers back to the corner of our yard last night. looks like he hopped the fence and headed south along a neighbor's fenceline since i could see feathers in a nice line. i was waiting with a shotgun before light this morning for him, but he didn't appear. my guess is he's a nocturnal hunter.

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:X2

6. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Fox

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by