lost a black sex link hen yesterday

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gorman Farm, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Gorman Farm

Gorman Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    So sad, I lost one of my black sex link hens yesterday. She was about 9 months old. I put them in the coop the night before everyone seemed fine, in the morning I went out to open their run and feed and I found her squatting in a corner, I thought maybe she was egg bound, I picked her up and stroked her she was receptive, so I left to go prepare a epsom salt bath and get some KY, I returned to the coop about 10 minutes later and there she was dead. It was so fast the day before she was just fine by all outward appearances. It made me feel so bad.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm sorry about losing your hen. So many things can affect them such as egg binding, crop or gizzard blockages, heart, liver ,or kidney disease, cancer, worms, and reproductive problems such as egg yolk peritonitis or internal laying. Sometimes you can find a few symptoms in looking at the body, or by opening the body to look at the organs. The best way is to refrigerate the body and send it in to your state vet or poultry lab for a necropsy. Many times these deaths seem to occur just as the hen is coming into laying or adulthood. We all have gone through something similar if we have had chickens for a few years.

3. Gorman Farm

Gorman Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    We already buried her, thanks for your reply. Everyone else is fine so I just have to deal with it, part of life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by