1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost a Black Star hen with prolapse.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mkcolls, Sep 25, 2011.

1. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    I was out in the laying coop checking for eggs and one of our broodies, Mildred, was sitting backward in the nest, with a 3" prolapse, small of blood & yellow discharge (pasty), and straining. She appeared to be in pain when she moved. She is not fond of contact, but let me check her for an internal egg - which she had.

She also had a bad smell, making me think that she was going septic since the prolapse was completely blocking the vent opening.

I was able to push the prolapse back in, but as soon as I did she strained again and pushed the prolapse back out.

DH made the decision to cull her and dispatched her. We did not process her because of the probable sepsis. Please let us know if this would be a cause not to eat her so we will know if this happens to another hen.

She was a really good layer and one of our lead hens. The other hens are missing her, and we will miss seeing Mildred everyday in the nest.

RIP, Mildred:hit

2. mamachicken888

mamachicken888 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    East Oklahoma
    So sorry to hear about your hen.

I'm dealing with the same thing in a little one right now.

I wish I could help.

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    I'm very sorry. It's amazing how attached we get [​IMG]

4. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Im sorry for your loss. I went out today and saw I had lost TWO bantams! [​IMG] I cried sooooo hard! [​IMG]

5. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry about you're hen that must be terrible! [​IMG]

6. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    Thank you for your kind responses. It was a hard day.

Scarlett, sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by