Lost a call duck today - wondering what killed it....help?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tessaturtle, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Tessaturtle

Tessaturtle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2012
    New Hampshire
    We lost one of our female call ducks today "Pipsqueak". We are wondering what may have killed her, we have a hunch, but don't have proof, hopefully someone on here can help?

We had 12 ducks total, 3 Rouen's, 1 Pekin, 3 Muscovy, and 5 Call Ducks. I believe I may have posted a pic sometime on here that shows our duck house with the enclosure (5 1/2 feet tall fencing) area. They are let out of the duck house in the morning and spend the day in the enclosure while we are at work. The 2 female Muscovy's and 3 (2 female and 1 male) of the Calls sometimes fly out of the enclosure and hang out in the yard close by. We came home today to find Pipsqueak's body 3 feet from the fence, below a pine tree - the other 2 call ducks were huddled next to the fence (but outside of the enclosure) and the rest of the flock were huddled against the fence on the inside. Whatever got her did not take off with her and instead ate both her breasts and the meat off of one wing right there under the pine tree.

We are thinking a 'wild' predator would have taken off with the duck or at least eaten all of it, wouldn't it? We are leaning towards thinking it is our neighbor's cat, who I did witness (and had to step in) stalking the calls this weekend when they got separated from the bigger ducks - who the Muscovy's in particular actually were going after the cat.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to go to my neighbor if its possible its not their cat who did this. Is there any wild predator who would be comfortable enough to do this in daylight and stay there to eat the duck?

THanks for any advice.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't know what to say except I am so sorry for you loss, I think I would put some kind of netting over the top of your enclosure because what ever it was will be back. I know calls are small but I still am not sure if a cat would or could kill one. Is this a feral cat that the neighbors feed or is this their inside outside cat that eats good. If a wild animal felt that it was safe to eat it's catch there it may have stayed around to do so, how is your yard set up is it quiet and protected by bushes and trees. You may want to post in the Predators and Pest thread to.

3. Tessaturtle

Tessaturtle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2012
    New Hampshire
    The cat, at least the one I stopped from jumping the calls this weekend, is an indoor/outdoor cat. I was thinking it was too much for a cat to kill and eat, but that's the only thing I have recently seen around. We definintely have foxes, coyotes, and a bobcat a few winters ago around. So far, the presence of our dog patrolling the yard and road have kept even the deer at bay the last few years. The dog is inside though while we are at work, but up until now, that hasn't mattered - his scent is still all over. We live on a dead end rd and we have almost 4 acres, our neighbors have 14+ and the other 2 houses on the road also have multiple acres of land, so yes it can be very quiet during the day. THe area this occurred in is behind the house so well away from any road.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    After you posted this and I logged off i was reading about predators and our flocks and one of the preds mentioned was cats, so there is that possibility. I think telling your neighbors about what you saw their cat doing and then finding your duck may or may not have any impact. You know your neighbors. But from what you just said about where you live and the seclusion it could have been any thing, especially if your dog wasn't out. Again I am very sorry about your loss. I think your only way of protection will be to keep them from getting out when your not there to watch.

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Sorry for your loss. I had the same thing happen with one of my young chickens a few days ago. I am convinced it was a hawk but the body was left behind so everyone thinks it was something else. I also lost mine during the day most of the breasts gone and some of a wing. I really checked over the body to see if there were any bite marks etc but to me it looked more stripped and pulled then bitten off (sorry about the description) I did post something in the predator section here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/714121/what-killed-my-chicken-graphic-pic#post_9752819 there is a graphic pic in there but it may help.

Again, sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by