Lost a chcken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jessmg1987, Mar 6, 2014.

1. jessmg1987

jessmg1987 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    Sad to say I found one of our chickens dead in the coop this morining. It appears something bit her head off and took a good chunk out of her. Any ideas of what may have gotten her during the night? I think it got through the bottom of door. Weird that it only got one chicken.

2. hannahrachel

hannahrachel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    Kansas
    It could be a fox, a raccoon, a skunk, a possum, or any other type of animal. I don't think it's a dog, as they tend to take out the whole flock when they attack... Do you have a high roost where your hens sleep? It could be that the one that died didn't roost for the night, and thus met her demise.

I'm very sorry about your loss :(

3. Dani004

Dani004 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2013
    Eastern Long Island
    I'm sorry. I just lost two in two nights as well. It is very sad.[​IMG] Mine literally just disappeared, all I found were feathers. Both nights whatever got at them only took one chicken. We just moved our sole survivor into the garage. Be careful tonight. I don’t want to scare you, but it might try to come back now that it knows that your flock is there. I think that is what happened to us. Good luck.

4. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    weasels and minks take the head off. keep coming back til no more chickens, and they can get in teeny tiny holes. You will need to make your coops predator proof.
    its an awful thing to find.

5. jessmg1987

jessmg1987 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    well,,,,they did come back and took two more chickens. We figured out how they were getting in and closed it off. I think it may be a fox or bob cat. We buried the chickens and it dug them up and didnt even eat all of the chicken. basically took out a chunck off stomach all the way to

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by