Lost a chick (2 wks) - bad idea to bring home new chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by linguafranka, Feb 9, 2012.

1. linguafranka

linguafranka Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    The advice I read is to quarantine any new chickens for 30 days away from your existing flock. But our "flock" is 4 chicks that are 2 to 3 weeks old. Should we follow that procedure if we get a new chick?
    We lost a chick to wry neck last night (we think thats what it was. she suddenly could not hold up her head or eat or drink)
    We anted to get another chick to replace her now, while they are all still young and will be more likely to accept her. Is this a mistake?
    If we do get a new one, is it best to go back to where we got the other chicks from (if possible)? It was a feed store. Maybe they will be more likely to have the same germs that way?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Usually you can safely mix chicks of various ages if they are all under 4 weeks, and yes, I'd get a replacement from the same feed store if possible.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  3. ChirpNEggBaby

ChirpNEggBaby Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    West Central, FL
    Most def. get a chick or 2 from the same place...they just get them thur the hatcheries. The only risk you run with feed store chicks, is that every tom dick n harry that has chickens and is in buyng their chicken feed is handling the chicks ( you know...the ones who DIDNT wash their hands or change their clothes after leaving home after all day in the chicken pen) LOL Usually the risk tho is slim of catching any funk and chicks do die...it part of raising chicken. But if you have heeavies dont toss a bantam in the mix. And even 2-3 week old birds will run over day olds and week olds and just tromple them....so try to always keep them the same age and in groups of the same age til they are big enough not to get squashed....even after they go outside they will still "clump" and the little smaller ones always get smothered.
    When picking your next chicks really look long and hard at them and only get the ones with good vigor. :) Sorry for your loss I hate wry neck...it happens. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by