Lost a chick during the night....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by newbie donna, May 28, 2010.

1. newbie donna

newbie donna In the Brooder

May 18, 2010
    SW Missouri
    Other than being dead, it looked fine. There were no bodily fluids or anything out of character. It actually looked like it died in its sleep. It was one of the larger chicks. How do I ascertain whether or not it was a preventable death or if it was caused by some illness for which I should treat the others? The chicks hatch date is May 25, 2010.

I have noticed that whenever I hold the chicks in my hands, they seem to immediately fall asleep. From everything I can tell, they are eating, drinking and when awake very active. The temperature of the brooder is 90 degrees and, I do understand that I'm supposed to decrease the temperature by 5 degrees everyday. Considering the death of the one chick, I'm afraid to.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
    donna

2. snowflake

snowflake Crowing 8 Years

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    some times they just die and you never know why, So sorry, sad to lose a little one [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  3. CoffeeCow

CoffeeCow Songster

Apr 29, 2010
    Washington, NC
    you decrease the temp by 5 degrees every WEEK, not every DAY ! keep those peepers warm !

I lost one overnight also =/ It happens sometimes, Mine was doing well the day before.

Good luck with the rest, and I am sorry for your loss [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: