Lost a chick last night

ChickenRiverCottage

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
I finally got 3 chickens (Faverolles) about 2 weeks ago. As I bought them they where 6 to 8 weeks old I was told. Since they are the first chickens I have ever had the breeder told me that I can put them outside as soon as it gets a little warmer. Yesterday we finished the coop and since it is already 77F outside we already transfered them into their new home.

2 of the 3 have grown since we got them and the smallest one was just as big as one of the bigger ones. So after their first night out in the coop I came outside this morning to open it up only to find one of the bigger ones dead next to the food. The other two seem to be fine.

What has happened? I have no clue only the fact that it didn't grow at all since we had it unlike the other two. And I think the poo was very watery and even with some blood in it.

Maybe someone here can tell me if we should we put a red light into the coop for them at night? The coop is insulated and I thought it would be warm enough for them.

I would think it would be warm enough at their age, but I am not sure. I will leave that to a more experienced BYCer. What kind of feed are they on? Did they get any vaccinations?

Bloody runny poo makes you think of coccidia. Anyone else have bloody poo? Do some looking on BYC for coccidia or coccidisis. I think it is treated with Corid (amprolium) added to the water. With it not growing well from the beginning it makes you wonder if there wasn't something else. Wish I could be of more help.

I don't know if they got any vaccinations. The person we bought them from didn't tell us anything about that. We give them regular chicken food which they seem to be very crazy about and never stop eating. As we picked them up the "breeder" said to mix the food with water because they can not eat the regular stuff yet. But ever since we have them they just pick out the dry food and leave the wet food, so we just gave them the dry food. They seem to love it and they do drink a lot as well.

We did pick up some medicine for coccidia today (she already mixed it in a water bottle and told us to give it to them instead of water). The person we bought them from told us to come and pick it up, give it to them for 3 days and see how their poo looks. First she told us to give them buttermilk mixed with ashes.

The only big one left has normal poo. The smaller ones yellow foamy poo. The "breeder" said that it is normal that chickens get coccidia and that all of them have it.
hmm.png

We have put a light into the coop for tonight just in case.

I don't think it's normal for chickens to all "get" coccidia..Maybe she meant that they "carry" it?? Although, we've had many chickens and have never had it with our girls....I wonder if she knows something she wasn't telling you??hmmmmmm.....Hope the meds clear things up for your others!!

Quote:
Well, as we picked up the medicine today she mentioned that she has lost 40 chicks to coccidia and also just started with 7 chickens 2 years ago. Now she has about 100 adults and about just as many chicks running around.

Leaving her farm today it kind of made us feel like we have bought chicks from a chicken mill and I really never would have thought something like that exists.
sad.png

When we got our baby chicks, we were told to have them on chick start for two weeks, which is medicated with an antibiotic. i think it is to prevent coccidiosis?? not exactly sure, and I think there are two different schools of thought on that anyway. Also, often baby chicks are given a vaccination against Marek's disease.

Back
Top Bottom