1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lost a chick last night

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheSpiceGirls, Dec 8, 2011.

1. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Oh, I'm so sad this morning. I bought four 3-day old BO's last Saturday. So I'm guessing they are a good week old now. I came home last night and found one that had what appeared to be pasty butt. I thought that was odd as they are quite settled in. But then dismissed it to maybe she fell asleep under the brooder lamp and got too warm. It's been REALLY cold at night so I lower the lamp to keep them at 95. The issue is it's still cold in the morning and so I leave the lamp low, but I also know the garage will warm up during the day. But their brooder is 3' by 3' so they have PLENTY of space to move away from the warmest spot of the lamp.

Anyway, one had passed this morning and I'm 99% sure it's her. I know this stuff happens and I probably did nothing wrong. But it's still so very sad.

And the sounds that her three sisters are making as they are calling for her. They've been quiet all week but when I pulled her out of the brooder last night, to wash her up, they made this sound calling out to her. It's breaking my heart.

I'm not sure I'm cut out for this whole back yard chicken thing. I've had a really rough year with hens turning out to be roosters, bullies, difficult molts, sour crop. Ugh. I can't even list off all of them.

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Im so sorry this is happening to you. Sometimes chicks die for no apperent reason to us. The others will settle down. Maybe you could bring them into the house to keep an eye on them better. I had 4 chicks hatch under a broody yesterday. Its cold here so instead of leving them out in the coop I brought them into my DH's man cave where they will have some heat. I brought momma and all. I know momma can keep them warm but I am a worry wart. It will get better. This is just things raising chickens that we have to deal with. I really hope you keep trying cause it sounds like you enjoy having chickens. I hope the New Year is better for you then the past has been.

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    TheSpiceGirl

I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

When other people say they are just chickens I say that they are ignorant and have no idea that chickens know what going on around them and are very cognitive of the things that are happening and get the strangest looks like "Get a grip, They are only chickens!" and then I say "you do not have a clue" and then I hear "Your serious aren't you?" and I say to them "YES I AM!!!!"

Mine know that I am gone now bc my wife is caring for them while I am recovering from a spinal fusion in the hospital and then on to rehab for my final 45 days in a rehab center. She has said to me they run past her and she thinks they are looking for me. I pet all my girls and love them to death and know they know I love them and they love me and are missing me. My wife even mentioned that she knows that they are really chipper around me and when I left for surgery they looked for me daily and have been more quiet it seems without me around. So please don't tell me they are just dumb chickens bc they are my dear pets and love them as much as any family member within reason for any pet. When my flock was killed down to only 1 chicken, Blondie my BO, she jumped into my arms and snuggled with me and cried I believe and was very aware of what happened and knew that her hatch mates were gone and I was all she had.

It sound to me you are a very sensitive person and having your heart broken over something like your beloved pet is normal to grieve and go through all the loss like any hurt person losing something dear to them. Please do not allow the loss of 1 pet to ruin the love you have for the others. The loss will take time for you to heal and soon you will remember it with love instead of sorrow. My heart goes out to you and hope you find some comfort that we all go through losses at time but recover and find joy going forward. Best of luck to you and hope to see your happy comments around the forum soon bc I see your posts and you are a valued member here with great posts and comments.

4. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:Steve, Thank you for your kind words. And you take care of yourself.

I couldn't agree more that chickens are very smart and intelligent. Although, the three sleeping on the deceased chick this morning was rather disrespectable. Maybe they were just trying to keep her warm. I do love having chickens and they are loads of fun out in the garden. I struggle this time of the year because one is molting and doesn't want any love. The other, we had to put a peeper on her to keep her from pecking at the BO so she is still mad at me. No eggs from her for the past week. Sigh... And this morning there were a few of her feathers in the run. She's not suddenly going to molt is she? I really hope I didn't bring that on with the peeper. But she was going to kill the BO if I let her keep pecking at her.

So it's just a mixed plate of issues I've had to deal with. Along with being busy at work and other things. So I'm just really frustrated today. But your kind words help.

5. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Steve, Thank you for your kind words. And you take care of yourself.

I couldn't agree more that chickens are very smart and intelligent. Although, the three sleeping on the deceased chick this morning was rather disrespectable. Maybe they were just trying to keep her warm. I do love having chickens and they are loads of fun out in the garden. I struggle this time of the year because one is molting and doesn't want any love. The other, we had to put a peeper on her to keep her from pecking at the BO so she is still mad at me. No eggs from her for the past week. Sigh... And this morning there were a few of her feathers in the run. She's not suddenly going to molt is she? I really hope I didn't bring that on with the peeper. But she was going to kill the BO if I let her keep pecking at her.

So it's just a mixed plate of issues I've had to deal with. Along with being busy at work and other things. So I'm just really frustrated today. But your kind words help.

The Spice Girls

I think the laying on their hatch mate has to do with them trying to care for their little sister and trying to keep her warm as you mentioned bc if you were cold your spouse would put a blanket on you, Right? Molting is a way that the all birds build up a thicker coat for the for the conditions they live in, climate, altitude and temperatures they are in. When they loose a feather a few grow in that are more densely so they can stay warmer for what is coming in the near future and genes take over and its like us buying a heavier jacket bc we are colder than usual. So do not worry about the molting its a process all birds must go through to protect them selves for a colder season. Her molting is not bc of you its bc she needs more down and when the big quills come out there is more room for the down base. You put the peeper on bc she was not being a good girl and you were right in protecting your Buff Orpington. (they are the sweetest of birds). I have always been told by a very smart man (Grandpa) never make a decision that will impact you and the family in a day and money decisions in a day bc its an emotional decisions and emotional decisions are not sound but from a soft place and some need to be decided from a grounded more practical space. If taking a couple of days it will never hurt bc you emotions will change in a few days and give your heart time to make the proper choice. Work!! You will always have work so that is a constant whether is for money or doing chores around the house. Frustration again is an emotion and in time the right decision will rear its head and you will know it and see more when you don't think about it it will just come to you. Just chill and regroup and talk it out with the ones that mean the most to you.

6. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I still remember the poor white leghorn chick we lost on Day 3 after hatching them. I do not believe she/he probably died of pasty butt - there wasn't anything on her to indicate that. I could see in the pictures that I took from Day 1 thru Day 3 that the little thing didn't feel well - it would stay off to the side while the others ate. I don't know why it didn't survive - when I noticed it wasn't acting right I gave it pampering and extra vitamins - I just knew I felt awful to find it dead the next morning. I won't forget that little chick - I only knew it 3 days - but I grew it for 21 days and watched it grow and then hatch out. The others were so young that I don't think they missed the other chick.

Later that flock grew to be 4 roosters and 1 pullet. We decided it would be good to rehome 3 of the roosters to make room for the latest clutch we added of 3 pullets. Those were my "boys" I loved them so much. It was really hard to let them go. The friend who took them promised to take good care of them. Of course "good" is a relative term, as I found out that 1 was eaten by a fox. However the other two are still doing well. But I do know that Snow White and Foghorn missed their hatchmates. I could tell they were upset the next time I went out to feed them in the morning. No one would come near me where they previously would let me pet them. It changed the flock dynamics - but I think they also understood that the boys were gone forever - and while they may not have been saddened, they definitely knew the void.

I so sorry for your loss - it's hard to let them go - whether to a freezer or friend or sudden illness. I pray for peace for you and your family during this difficult time. And don't let anyone belittle your grief. I am thankful for the time I got to spend with my boys and the joy I get in raising these chickens. Whenever I feel sad - I can go out there and watch them for a little time and their antics make me laugh again. Some of the newest ones even like to be held - that is a real bonus. I have several that are roosters right now - I don't believe we'll keep that many of them - we'll probably have to rehome or refrigerate some. It will be hard as my children have named them all. I never thought we'd be raising chickens - but what started as a science experiment has blossomed into a real love of these feathered "friends" who are kind enough to give us food from time to time.

7. myra52

myra52 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2011
    I'm sorry to hear that. But since the weather is so cold, you'd better find a warm place for them. Maybe you should bring them into the house and keep them warm. Chicks are not that strong in the cold situation.

Juicy Couture outlet

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  8. TheSpiceGirls

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Quote:They are in the garage in their brooder which was at 95 degrees. Today, I set it back to 90 as they are 8 days old.. I don't see any sign of distress of that they are cold. I think the chick just wasn't meant to be.

9. SteveBaz

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:I am glad to see you posting and working the issue out in your head. When its your time simply SpiceGirl its your time and I am truly sorry for you for that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by