lost a chick now 2nd chick has swelling below neck area

Meadow lane

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
It is me again. In a past post 8 day old chick...... we sadly lost Buzzy. Now Yamaha has swelling in her neck on the right side. It is soft to touch and almost fluid feeling. We started with newspaper cover then the store sold us wood chips. In addition someone had told us to give the sick chick sunflower seeds...... So is something stuck in its throat or something else!!! THis is so dicouraging. WOuld appreciate your help

Like the others said, it is probably a full crop. Tomorrow I'm sure it will be lots better.

It is hard when you are new to something and things don't seem to be going as well as you had hoped. Cheer up. Look how much you have learned!
hugs.gif

Thank you for your support. I did so much reading and asking questions so I thought I was prepared!!! Well like you said I have learnt so much!!

Quote:

I appreciate everyones feedback. I am going to buy grit tomorrow and mix it in the food. Honestly, when the lady recommended sunflower seeds I asked if we would need grit! Well I am so thankful for this forum. Such a wealth of knowledge, support and kindness

I have a dish of free choice grit next to my feeders so the birds always have access to it and they take what they want.

I wouldn't recommend sunflower seeds for an 8 day old chick. The one that passed, probably had an impacted crop. As others mentioned, you can use chick grit, however a chick only requires chick feed for it's primary feed source for the first many weeks. The chick feed has grit in it, so as long as other treats are not provided, they will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom