Lost a chick to something

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gmachicken, Jun 13, 2011.

1. gmachicken

gmachicken Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    Hi there. We lost a 7 wk old chick today. We've been fortunate until lately to not have much problems with predators. i guess we've been found out!
    This happened between about 9:30 AM - 4:30 PM today. The results was one 7 week old chick dead. There were two areas of feathers and after walking about the yard a bit I found the body, headless and the chest area pecked at. it was against the inside of the fence and seemed to have been 'covered'. In one pile of feathers there was evidence of craw contents.

A friend told me it was with out a doubt a skunk. It wasn't at night or dusk or dawn.
    I thought a bird at first but the body was there, then a dog but the last time it destroyed my flock, a cat?

After reading the note on predators I did not have any conclusive ideas. Other than to put up an electric fence, which I didn't want to .

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

All the girls (19) will be kept in their respected coop tomorrow until I can be home to check it out. Cannot think of anything else to do.

Thank you for your help.

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    The fact that it was buried makes me think it was a cat. I'm not sure if skunks do that or not. [​IMG]

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hard to tell, might want to insure your run is secure, topped and skirted. Try laying out a sheet of plywood with flour sprinkled on it and the dead bird or some other bait in the middle. The predator will investigate and leave you prints to help identify your foe.

4. gmachicken

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    Thank you for the comments.
    I will get it all together and hope for the best!

5. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    Isn't there also a chance for a Yeti in SW Oregon?

6. gmachicken

Jan 18, 2010
    Grants Pass, OR
    Okay I'll bite, what's a yeti???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by