Lost a chick to strange infection--Help me before I lose them all!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunnysongbird, Aug 21, 2011.

1. sunnysongbird

sunnysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    I'm on vacation and I miss my chickens back home, so weeks back I bought 12 baby chicks here. They are spraypainted on the outside with colors but the colors are washing off as their white wings are growing in. So I keep the chicks outside in their chicken coop and the weather outside at night is really pleasant so they stay there overnight and it never rains. I underestimated that and one night it rained REALLY hard, it was a storm. It was an unexpected storm and I woke up at 4 in the morning to the sound of pouring rain and immediately rushed outside to the coop...only to find that they were all upturned. I thought they'd all be lost but they were breathing and immediately heated them and put them in a warm box. Slowly, they were all drying themselves and in hours they were back to normal all except for one chick who had drowned in a water container and couldn't be helped. But now I keep them inside in case another rainshower creeps by.
    Later on, all the chicks were doing much better except for one who was acting really slow and would always go to sleep. I feared for him and gave him special care. After a few days, odd SPOTS appeared on the chick's beaks. Is it like Chicken Pox? The red spots that look like blisters are getting bigger and bigger, and are also appearing on some chick's wings and backs. Some chicks don't have spots, but the majority do. I'm afraid if they get big and cover their nostrils, they won't be able to breathe! The slow chick I was talking about before passed away today sadly and he had a really big blister on his nose. I loved that chick named "Friendly." and I was heartbroken. Did the blister have anything to do with the rainshower or do the spraypainted colors have anything to do with it? Is the temperature too warm for them because I kept them in the bathroom for a while because there are children in the house that knock over the chicken cage. How do I help the others before I lose all of them to this strange disease outbreak? Please help, any help would be gladly accepted! We have 10 left, and I want to see all of them thrive and survive! I will try to upload pictures and take pics in the morning.

Thanks and I really appreciate any help!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  3. sunnysongbird

Jul 20, 2011
    thank you,

I believe that's what the problem is. There are so many mosquitoes here and I believe that's what is causing it. I'll sanitize their enclosure more now, poor chicks [​IMG] Do you have any suggestions for curing this?

4. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    I'm sorry, but at the bottom of the article it says there is no cure once they get it [​IMG]

5. sunnysongbird

Jul 20, 2011
    aw that's not good [​IMG] thanks for telling me. I went on some other articles online about this and it says the blisters should have pus soon and they will dry and fall off. I hope they come off eventually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by