Lost a chick today :-(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dutchmen1122, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Dutchmen1122

Dutchmen1122 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    Hello,

I am new to raising chicks. I just brought home 36 day olds on Mon. 3-18-13. All seemed to be going well until today Wed. when I found one chick dead. I think another is not doing well either. The brooder is at 90 degrees there is chick crumble on a paper plate and in the feeder and I used a chick starter in the water and read the packaging carefully I am using pine shavings for bedding. I am doing every thing according to readings. What is the norm for chick mortality?

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Did you get them shipped to you or did you buy them somewhere?

3. Dutchmen1122

Mar 7, 2013
    They were delivered to the feed store I ordered them from. Strait from the hatchery I know they have three days of yoke in them so today they are living on the water and feed I give them.

4. Dutchmen1122

Mar 7, 2013
    Lost 5 more I think they are the Buff Orpingtons sad the rest seem ok running pecking doing the chick thing. Any suggestions from the wise ones on this site.

5. CourtsCacklers

CourtsCacklers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Northern Ohio
    My Coop
    I don't know for sure but chicks have like no way of keeping warm-- their first week they should really be around 100 degrees on the floor of the brooder. If they lay directly under the lamp or piled on top of each other-- they are not warm enough. If they lay next to one another or spread out a little they are comfortable. If they are at the edges-- trying to get away from the heat they may be too warm. Make sure your brooder is big enough for them so they don't get bored and keep your brooder very clean too-- change water daily and clean the waterer everytime you change it. If they get too bored and start pecking at soiled litter they can get sick. I actually lay a thermostat on the floor in my brooder to check the temperature and make sure it is around 100 (no warmer and not much cooler) a couple of times a day. Also-- water is way more important than food in the beginning. If chicks lose 20 percent of their body water through dehydration and excretion-- they will die. You may have to show them the water. Hope something in here helps! That is so sad [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Had they all found their feed and water and were eating and drinking? What are these chicks looking like before they pass? Are they acting lethargic, sleeping a lot, not eating/drinking? If it were me, with that many losses, I'd probably run a course of Corid in their water so I could at least rule out the possibility that they might be working on a nice case of coccidiosis. It's very, very common. Brooders are warm, chicks poop, it happens.

Your temps and what your feeding sounds fine. I keep one area of my brooder between 90 and 95 max for the first week with room for them to move away from the heat as needed. Overheating can cause as much trouble as not enough heat.

1 person likes this.
  7. kynewbchickie

kynewbchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

This is all very, very good and helpful advice. :D

I'm new to chickens as well - bought books, read articles, then found this group of awesome chicken-loving souls and VOILA - I've found just about every issue within these message boards from other members and even had a few send me direct messages about some of my flock's issues. SO very helpful here!

Like was mentioned, temp is paramount along with water. I use a candy thermometer on the floor/pine litter of the brooder, directly under the lamp...our lamp is approximately 18" above the layer of litter, and their brooder temp stays right around 98 degrees. They're all very comfy. I change their water about every 12 hours, once in the morning and once again in the evening right before I head to bed.

Have you checked your chicks' tail ends to make sure they're not getting pasted up/poopie butt? That can kill a chick quick, too, if it's not remedied by warm water cleansing to get the vent clear...then you have to treat the cause. I found helpful info here on these boards about what to do for some of my guys/gals...I've been using a scoop of Probios probiotic powder that I bought from Tractor Supply (in the Equine section, about $10) in their feed every time I fill up their jar feeders. I've also put about 3/4 capfull of Heinz All-Natural apple cider vinegar in their water every time I change it. We now have no more pasted up poopie tails and everyone is thriving wonderfully.

Also, if you feel the need, you should be able to get either a veterinarian or a local USDA agent (usually from your county extension office) to come take a small blood sample from one of the chicks to rule out/in any possible diseases that could be causing mortality in your flock. Since you ordered them through a store, you might want to contact that store to see if the chicks were vaccinated for Marvek's - even coccidiosis (also called "coxy"). That will give you a head start on ruling out possible poultry disease being the source for so many deaths in your batch.

I hope you don't suffer anymore losses of your little ones. Keep us posted!

1 person likes this.
  8. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    This could be travel stress. Considering they not only came from the hatchery but also thru the middleman at the store.
    See the thread "How To Deal With Travel Stress In Baby Chicks" in this "Raising Baby Chicks" forum.
    Best,
    Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. Dutchmen1122

Mar 7, 2013
    Well it is up to ten now but I am hoping that is it. I called the hatchery and they are helpful and will replace my losses from the same battery as my hatchlings. I have added some more vent holes in the back of the brooder. My Brooder is a very big plastic storage tub. I cut a 5x12 rectangle in the cover opposite the heat lamp. And 5x6 rectangles on both sides of the tub the holes are cover with hardware mesh to keep the cat and dog out and let air in. The dimmer switch is wired in to control heat. . See my drawing for details. Tonight will be telling wish me luck all the chicks seen active eating drinking brooder temp is 88 and rising. The old style would keep a temp of 92-88 as an average.
    [​IMG]

10. Dutchmen1122

Mar 7, 2013
    Thanks for the tips.

No pasty butt

Monday was very cold signal digits Chick made it to store around 12:00 and I could not pick the chicks up until 4:00 and then 4:30 to the farm house and into my preheated brooder. PoultryNutri-Drench sound like it may have helped I do like the changes to the brooder just hope I came get the heat up. I will be getting some ASAP.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by