lost a chick. Would could have happened?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Denisemomof4, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Denisemomof4

Denisemomof4 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2011
    Hi, I'm new to this forum and am desperate for help/answers!

H had a flock of chickens in the past and am on my second now. I had 5 buff orpingtons but lost one a couple of weeks ago. I believe she died from the heat. They all are a year old. My first time around I got all my chicks from Mc Murray Hatchery. They were free range birds but I wont' do that again since I lost many of them due to predators. I then would go out just to find a dead chicken periodically and always felt bad because I never knew what happened.

We got our buffs last year and never had any issues with them as chicks.

Now I have new chicks, all bought at a chicken swap. I've had a frizzle and a buff for 3 - 4 weeks and then we went back to the swap and got a Polish, two more frizzles, and a sizzle (silkie/frizzle) and they all have been fine.

Wednesday night in the barn I thought the one buff seemed somewhat tired and just figured it was because it was around 10:00 at night. We were gone all day/night yesterday and last night fed/watered animals in barn around midnight. She was walking around, eating, but I didn't pay much attention to her because I was exhausted.

Today she is dead! I'm SO upset about this! She was such a sweet little chick. MY daughter would push her and another around in a stroller, the frizzle, and they were the best of friends! Because this little buff was so sweet, but the original frizzle picked on the Polish, I would put the buff in with the other chicks during the day and have her sleep with the frizzle at night. I was trying to incorporate them all together. BUT, now that this little buff is dead, I'm SO afraid I spread what ever she had to the other chicks!

I inspected her well (which broke my heart!) and she had a red thickish discharge coming out of her. It was in the feed bowl, too. I immediately removed the feed/water bowl and put the frizzle into a different cage. The feed bowl is rubber. Should I throw it out now? I'm going to wash the plastic water dish in hot soapy water, and will also wash the food/water in the other chick's cage and I will take out all bedding, bleach, then put new hay in. In the other chicks cage the water bowl is rubber. Should this be thrown out? I think I've heard the rubber absorbs stuff.

I'm terrified that since we took this sweet buff and placed her with all the chicks, I'm so afraid I'm going to lose them all! Especially the sweet, sweet frizzle she spent most of her time with, although she's spent a few days with the other chicks. All were on medicated chick starter.

Does anyone have ANY idea what she could have had? And is there anything I can do to help my other chicks? I will be just so devastated if something happens to them!

I'm off to go clean/change cages and will check back.

thanks!

oh, one more thing. Like I said, we've had the chicks for weeks and I can't remember how old they were when I got them. T he one who died was about 6 inches from head to tail and had a full set of feathers when we got her.

2. Denisemomof4

Jul 29, 2011
    nobody???[​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It could be any number of things, but really sounds to me more like some sort of congenital defect than a disease. My second guess would be injury, not disease. Just guesses, of course.

There's a long writeup in a sticky here about causes of chick mortality. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=39604

4. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think you need to throw out your bowls. Just scrub them down with Clorox or bleach really well and they should be fine once they have dried out in the sun.

5. Denisemomof4

Jul 29, 2011
    Quote:Thank you. She wasn't inured, I'm pretty sure of that. When I cleaned her cage I could see the droppings got bloodier and bloodier until they were all blood.

I've been reading in my Chicken Health Handbook and I'm questioning coccidiosus. Do you think I should medicate the chicks for this to be safe? Or do you think I should just keep a close eye on droppings and treat if I see any sign of blood?

6. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Quote:Thank you. She wasn't inured, I'm pretty sure of that. When I cleaned her cage I could see the droppings got bloodier and bloodier until they were all blood.

I've been reading in my Chicken Health Handbook and I'm questioning coccidiosus. Do you think I should medicate the chicks for this to be safe? Or do you think I should just keep a close eye on droppings and treat if I see any sign of blood?

Maybe. If you have young chicks out and in contact with soil, they should probably be getting food that contains amprolium. It helps them build up their own immunity to Coccidius. I'm pretty sure exposure and lack of immunity to Coccidius is why they recommend keeping new chicks separate from older birds for awhile (could be wrong there, I'm rather new myself).

7. Denisemomof4

Jul 29, 2011
    I'm very concerned now. We have been with the frizzle all day because she looked so pitiful cuddled up to her dead friend, pecking to get her to move. [​IMG] She had a tiny drop of blood in her first dropping and then a totally white poop, then a HUGE normal one. I'm concerned about the tiny drop of blood.

Any other opinions? We'd be devastated to lose her, too.

They only had one day outside, spent on grass and not dirt. I will read up about amprolium.

What would you guys do if you lost one chick to lots of blood, and the chick she spent most of her time with now has a drop of blood in her droppings? I need to go inspect the droppings of the other three chicks we had her spend time with, too.

8. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Blood in the droppings of chicks is frequently (I would say almost always) coccidiosis. That it's happening to a second one seems to clinch the case.
    Cocci parasites can be found anywhere where chickens have been previously.

If it is cocci, they need medication asap. [​IMG]

Good luck, we've all been through this.

9. Astrid

Astrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    Not much advice other than seconding the cocci opinion and send you hugs and well wishes for your sweet frizzle.
    I know how hard it is to lose chicks. So sorry!

astrid (yes, the same "astrid" as on the WTM board! [​IMG])

10. Denisemomof4

Jul 29, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] good to "see" you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by