Lost a chicken this morning, any insight?

kiana325

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 30, 2012
Groton, MA
So, I went to let the girls out this morning and Stella one of our blue cochins and unfortunately my favorite chicken was huddled in the corner with her wings spread. I thought she was just being goofy and protecting her egg and I picked her up to move her to an egg box. I then noticed her eyes were closed her breathing was labored, her crop was full and squishy and her comb was nearly grey. I brought her in the house, made a couple phone calls for advice and was debating which vet to call when she shuddered and died. I am so sad. Monday she was out pecking around and happy with all the others. I didn't spend a lot of time with them yesterday, but nothing about her behavior clued me in that something was wrong. My sister reports that everyone was roosting last night. She did feel a little thin to me this morning, but her feathers are thick and healthy. Could it have been sour crop? Would that have killed her so suddenly? All the other hens appear to be fine this morning, nice bright red combs, pecking around doing their thing. The only exception is a brahma who has been molting. Her comb is not as beautiful, but she looks much better than she did in the photos I took last month. Is there anything that I might need to watch for in everyone else?

There is no way to tell without having a necropsy done, there are just too many possibilities and anything we come up with here would just be a guess. She could have had a heart problem or other major organ issue that caused sudden death, or it could have been some kind of tumor or cancer, could have been something she ate yesterday. Are parasites a possibility or do you have them on a regular deworming program? There just are so many possibilites. I know how frustrating it is to loose them like that though. Due to lack of visible symptoms I would lean more towards this being something going on with just her, rather then something that could spread to the others.

Sorry for your loss...

A necropsy is the best way to find out what happened which you could do yourself to check for obvious things like oviduct cancer, ascites, EYP, roundworms or other abnormalities of the organs. Having fluid and/or food the crop at the time of death is very common as the organs start to shut down the crop does not empty.

Many States do free necropsies on backyard flocks, so you might want to look into that.

-Kathy

No, I don't worm regularly, but sounds like now could be the time to start.

That is fantastic information about the necropsy, thank you! I have buried her and digging her up again is not going to happen at this point, but I will tuck the information away for next time as it would most definitely be something I'd do in the future. Who knew?!

Seems this one is going to remain a mystery. Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Back
Top Bottom