Lost a chicken today:(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by aFloridaCracker, Feb 15, 2015.

1. aFloridaCracker

aFloridaCracker New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    So I'm dog sitting for a friend, and his dog and my dog(who's had a record of roughing up my chickens) chased down one of my two Buff Orp hen's and killed her. I'm surprisingly saddened by this, I've raised them since they were pullets and they were both just recently starting to lay eggs regularly. I'm so sad that I didn't protect her from the stupid dogs! I thought they were still in the coop this morning. I just needed somewhere to vent.

PS: I cleaned her and am preparing her for dinner. I figured the best way to honor her would be to make sure she doesn't go to waste. I'm gonna pick up 3 hens tomorrow so my chicken doesn't get lonely. She's out there squawking as if calling for her sister. It's breaking my heart.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I am SAD FOR YOU JUST THE SAME. I lost chickens before but not to my dogs, but raccoons. Good that you will get more chickens to keep her company. Figure out how to deal with your dogs. I have no suggestions . [​IMG]

And also a SAD [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  3. ChristieB

ChristieB Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2014
    Queensland
    Oh that's so sad, I'm constantly losing chickens to one of my dogs, thankfully it's never vicious attacks just puppy play that leaves the nervously predisposed chicken dead, the last 2 that have gone missing though have been a mystery, I assume it was the dog but there's no evidence in any direction, not even a loose feather let alone a body (if they'd eaten them there would be feathers everywhere!) hubby will probably find the remains next time he's under the house.
    But to look for the silver lining, I can get away with getting new chicks! Always best to look for the positive and not dwell on it

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    When they are gone without a trace , don't point toward dog. Very possibly carried of by a hawk. Of course I didn't see it, in your case. Have seen it in mine. [​IMG]

5. aFloridaCracker

aFloridaCracker New Egg

Feb 15, 2015
    I
     I am SAD FOR YOU JUST THE SAME.   I lost chickens before but not to my dogs, but raccoons.  Good that you will get more chickens to keep her company.

I got three americaunas and they're already laying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by