Lost a Chicken -- What happened?

SkyWarrior

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
Wilds of Montana
A couple of days ago I discovered that my two golden sex links and my best layers (of course) were attacked and picked on by the other birds. Their feathers on their rears were pulled out, and in one case, the chicken was brutally pecked. I separated them from the others and blue koted them.

About 5 pm, they were still alive, though one was a bit sluggish. When I went to water all the birds and close up the coop, she had died. She had an egg she couldn't lay because they had damaged her so badly.

The other one is still alive and has less damage, but her vent is swollen and there's white stuff oozing out. I'm understandably worried and
somad.gif
angry because I don't think there was anything that set the others off on these two chickens. They've been together since chicks and nothing has changed. I had been feeding them more scraps because my feed went low and I needed to buy some, but they were never starved and I've done this before. Any thoughts why my chickens in this pen went after these two? I had 3 RIR (2 hens/ 1 rooster), 2 BR, 1 BSL and these two GSLs in this pen.

I don't know but I do notice more hostility when the chickens are stressed. I've got one hen right now who seems to be getting picked on. I'm going to try putting her in the outside broody cage for awhile because she does seem somewhat broody. Doesn't know whether to pick a fight or run from the others. Losing a chicken, getting new chickens, changing feed can probably all cause some stress. Letting them free range can help reduce the stress and give them something better to do (as long as you can do it fairly safely).

Quote:
Unfortunately, free ranging is out of the question. Although I have about 10 acres, it's all forest next to more than 1000 acres of state forest. I will lose them to coyotes, foxes, mountain lions, bears, bobcats, lynx, hawks, eagles, skunks and raccoons. Not to mention wolves and loose dogs.

I've been giving them plenty of treats, but I think the cold and lack of light is causing a problem, even with lights on at night.

Back
Top Bottom