Lost a chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by csaiz100, Aug 14, 2014.

1. csaiz100

csaiz100 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    New Mexico
    My neighbors have a nasty 3 year old mini Schnauzer that they have on a chain (Actually a cord) for the last 4 month. Last night the dog got loose and out of their fenced yard like he has done a million times before they tied him up. One of the girls (About 14 or so was out in their yard and saw him loose but did not call him back in their yard. Sure enough he killed on of my chickens that free-range on the dirt road. The little killer took his price back in his own yard. The Hubby went over there and gave the wife his opinion. After the kids refused to take the dead chicken out of the dogs mouth for fear of being bitten all the wife said was, guess we owe you a chicken!!!!!!!!!!! This morning, when I left for work, "Cujo" was tied up again.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  2. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Ugh......sorry.

I'd also report it to whatever agency takes the reports in your are.

Our county has a three strikes rule against loose cats/dogs taking out livestock.

3. csaiz100

csaiz100 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    New Mexico
    The thing that makes me mad, its the same neighbor ho helped me 4 years ago to trap 2 pit mixes who killed 3 baby goats. The husband is okay(he is working out of town), the wife and kids are something else[​IMG]

4. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Well maybe an offically listed report will give them a wake up call to be more responsible with their dog. Talking to them obviously hasn't done the trick. Poor dog.

5. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

She owes you more than a chicken. I took my neighbor to court after her dog killed my chicken. The judge awarded me enough money to buy a started pullet from Murray McMurray hatchery and money to pay for the feed to raise a pullet to laying age.

It took 2 more trips to court and a final total of $500 in fines for the neighbor to realize they better keep the dog home.

Some people have to learn the hard way.......

6. kittydoc

kittydoc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    Near Indianapolis
    I agree that you should file a police/sheriff's report about this, and keep doing it until they actually confine the dog properly or get rid of it. They owe you a pullet or laying hen of the same breed/age as the one you lost (the money to buy such a pullet/hen).

I think the cavalier attitude they have about it is totally infuriating, and if this happened with a nice neighbor, I might let it go with a promise to properly confine the dog (and see that they did it). One of our neighbor's dogs grabbed an Australorp pullet and ran off with her (she was fenced in, mind you), but except for a couple of minor wounds from his teeth, she was OK and we still have her. They then apparently did something different with the idiot dog, because we never saw it loose after that, and it used to run around loose regularly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by