Lost a Chickie :(

abbylane35

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 13, 2011
Lodi, New York
So I hatched out some chicks in the spring from eggs that I received from a local lady. I hatched out Ameracaunas, Black Copper Marons, and one white hen. I kept one Maron roo and an Ameracauna roo. Two or three of my girls started laying at the end of summer
wee.gif
which was great! Then, two of my hens became broody...the Maron lost interest quickly, but the white hen sat on one egg...I kept checking her and checking her, but didn't think that anything would come of it. I actually had kind of given up on the egg hatching because it had been so long! I injured my cornea this week, and my husband was doing the chicken chores...so I went out this morning to do chores, and noticed that the white hen was not in her nest...so I peeked in and didn't find anything. THEN I looked on the ground and there was one poor chickie. The chickie was dead
hit.gif
and didn't look like it had even dried off fully. So I am thinking that between falling out of the nesting box and the colder temperatures that we have had the past few days that it did the little chickie in. Poor little guy (or girl) didn't even have a chance...I guess now I will treat all broodies VERY seriously!

So sorry
hit.gif
hit.gif
i had that happen before the chick even hatch over the summer, we had a lot of rats and they were scaring my hen and she wasn't eating, so after that chick half hatch and died, i pulled her off of the eggs and candled them, only that one was fertile.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
but it was probably better for the chick because his father was also his grandfather.

Thanks everyone! It is just heartbreaking to know that the little chickie was alive, but it will be winter here soon...so maybe it was just as well...it makes me hopeful for spring though! Our ewes will be lambing and hopefully we will get some chickies too!

Back
Top Bottom