Lost a Cornish Rock today

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by vortec, Apr 8, 2009.

1. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    I went in this morning to check the chicks and found one of my cornish rolled over on his back dead and stiff. He was 5 weeks old and had gained a lot of weight over a short time, and I don't think he was all together 100% healthy in his heart. He commonly sat under the heat lamp huffing and puffing even while asleep. I really regret that I continuously fed them since birth as I have read that is a no no with this breed but is that what killed him this early? I have one more that is doing well still but also very heavy. He was always a lot more active then the late one. The one who died also was very scantily feathered where as the one who lived has a full bright white coat. Was it a sick chick, the cold weather after weeks of warm weather, or the continuous feeding that killed him? Thanks so much for any info that will help me not repeat this outcome in future flocks

vortec

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    It's hard to say for sure. Continuous feeding may have contributed to it, but I don't think you can pin it on that. I know someone that used to raised them by the thousands. He said to expect to lose 1 out of 12. This is about what I expirienced, and I started restricting feed at two weeks. Unexplained death is something that happens with this breed. I guess it's the results for a breed that grows so quickly.

3. vortec

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    It certainly does seem that way as my other one is looking great and he has been exposed to the same environment. I have just talked to a friend in the chicken meat packing buisness, and he says that they lose around 10% of their cornish x rocks and they do 3500 chickens per barn. It might be something that just happens. I just don't want to lose the other one. We are considering culling the other one this weekend.

vortec

4. chicklips

chicklips Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Johns, MI
    I read that around 8% mortality rate is expected for cornish X. Restrict the other birds of food for 12hrs on 12 hrs off. This will slow growth a bit and it will lessen the chance of them dying due to groing to fast.

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

It could be anything- it's a lot of trial and error with these, and 8-10% loss is to be expected.

6. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I think the important thing to realize is that it isn't anything that you have done. When I lost a few my first batch, I felt personally responsible for their deaths. After asking a bunch of questions on the BYC, I came to the reality that it most likely wasn't my fault. Don't let the losses bring you down. In a few weeks you will have some of the best tasting chicken you've ever tasted.

7. vortec

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:That is definitely how I felt seeing him laying there. But the only thing that preserved my pride was seeing the other one doing so well yesterday. He might just have been sick or one of the 8 to 10% that will die from the flock( unfortunately, I have only 2 so it was 50% for me ) You guys are probably right that it wasn't all me, but not knowing about the 12 hr feeding policy makes me feel a little responsible. But hey, you live and you learn. That was the mission with this first flock was to get all of the bugs ironed out so in the future when I get some I really care about, I can do everything in my power to prevent negative outcomes though I am realistic in knowing that some might die. I hate I had to lose it, but he is not a member of the flock of 25-50 we are getting in September to fill the freezer, so I have learned the hard way with this one, but it might have saved the 25 to 50 I'm getting later. So, I am glad that I have the knowledge now and there would have really been no way to have learned it other wise unless by just chance, so it all worked out for the best. Plus I still have the other to put in the deep fryer, lol!

vortec

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by