Lost a duck, unknown cause. Please help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lomine, Jan 23, 2016.

1. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I lost one of my 6 month old WH Ducks this morning. I didn't notice any change in behavior or any signs of illness. She seemed really happy. I found her in the coop. She passed while laying down and her neck is craned to one side. My coop is secure and there are no signs of a predator or injury.

I have noticed she had a little bump on her belly for the last week. I thought it was a sign she was getting ready to lay but now I'm not sure. Two of the others have it too but not as prominent. Could this have been something else?

These are my first ducks and I feel so awful. I don't know if my lack of experience is what caused this.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm so sorry for your loss, it could have been a number of things something genetic or an illness they can hide things from us till most of the time it's too late to help or try to help. But I think she would have been off her feed and lethargic if an illness. What do you mean by bump? could you see it just looking at her or did you only feel it? Could have just been a heart defect. I lost a Muscovy female at 4 months and pretty sure it was her heart.
    About the only way to know for sure would be to have a necropsy done.

3. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Thank you.

Yes, I could see the bump while she was standing. When I felt it it didn't feel hard. It wasn't warm or overly squishy. She didn't care when I was poking and proding so I don't think it was hurting her. She was definitely eating normally and didn't have trouble walking. I took out their kiddie pool yesterday because it was so warm and she was swimming and diving.

I have a vet appointment for the other three for Monday just to make sure they are okay. I asked about checking for cause of death but she said they wouldn't be able to tell by Monday.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Most vets will tell you have to keep the body till you can get a necropsy I think it has to be kept cool but not frozen. Not real sure though since I haven't ever had one done. I hope the other 3 check okay healthy and fine. @casportpony knows about this.

5. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I called the vet again and they were able to fit it in today. The vet will call me later with the results. I still have the appointment for the others on Monday.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That is great now you'll know. [​IMG]Please let us know what you find out.

7. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Necropsy was inconclusive. Vet said he couldn't see any obvious cause of death. There was a little fat but not too much and her body condition was good. He offered to send out tissue samples but there's no guarantee it would tell me anything. I just can't justify spending hundreds of dollars for it.

He said since she didn't show any symptoms he just can't tell me what happened. There isn't much else he can do. Now I just wait to get the others checked out and make sure they're okay.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ducks sometimes have strokes or heart attacks. I think I recall a section in Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks on necropsies.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's too bad you didn't get a reason. I just hope the others are fine and healthy ..Try not to worry.

10. lomine

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Yeah I was hoping for some answers but I might never know. The vet said he didn't see anything wrong with the heart. I'll ask on Monday if he thinks it could have been a stroke.

The other three seem fine but so did she so I just don't know. I'll just wait for now. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by