Lost a few yesterday, fox most likely

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Guinea Goonie, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Yesterday I came home to chickens in every nook and cranny they could find.

I knew something was up and started to look around.

I found the feathers of my silver polish roo, a silkie and a leghorn hen.

The silkie and the roo were out by barns, the leghorn was in the barn..

There was nothing left but the feathers. I have ONE silkie that was injured, but doing OK today in a cage by herself.

I have seen this fox around in the morning, but not at night.

I put a few buck shots in its butt one day, but obviously this has
    not deterred him.

So now I am on the hunt, I am bringing my pistol to the barn every night and morning and this time I wont miss.

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Sorry you lost some birds....how'd that happen? Hope you get the perp....and then the others would surely be safe? Good luck. [​IMG]

3. lady chicken whisperer

lady chicken whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    We had a fox problem a few years ago. I lost a couple of my very young pullets because the stupid fence blew open.

Our biggest problem is the coyote infestation. We have lived here for about 6 years and have killed about 20 coyotes so far. At one point we had to keep a gun in the barn because they foxes and coyotes would come out in the middle of the day and try to snatch my birds.

4. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I had issues with a pair of foxes last summer. Like an idiot I was expecting a fox to hit dusk or dawn but this pair was coming in the middle of the day .....between noon and 3pm.

I lost a few young birds that for some reason preferred to free range away from the flock on the far side of the fence.

It actually took seeing a fox chase a chicken across my porch to realize what the culprit was. I had suspected a hawk or an eagle.

When the first was taken care of that is when we realized there was a second fox with the same mode of hunt, same time of day etc....

Julie

5. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    i am so very sorry for your loss [​IMG]

6. Well, yesterday I had a Leghorn hen come down to the house. The wife feeds the one that come down bread every once in a while.
    This one apparently was a newbie for the treats.

Well, to my astonishment she had a BARE BUTT. Yep, the feathers I found in the barn which I KNEW were a leghorn hen was HER, bare butt and all. I was thrilled, no blood or pecking by the others, just a bare butted bird. I does look funny though and she is doing great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by