Lost a few yesterday, fox most likely

Guinea Goonie

Roosting Elsewhere
12 Years
Sep 2, 2008
Peace Valley in Howell County Missouri
Yesterday I came home to chickens in every nook and cranny they could find.

I knew something was up and started to look around.

I found the feathers of my silver polish roo, a silkie and a leghorn hen.

The silkie and the roo were out by barns, the leghorn was in the barn..

There was nothing left but the feathers. I have ONE silkie that was injured, but doing OK today in a cage by herself.

I have seen this fox around in the morning, but not at night.

I put a few buck shots in its butt one day, but obviously this has
not deterred him.

So now I am on the hunt, I am bringing my pistol to the barn every night and morning and this time I wont miss.

Sorry you lost some birds....how'd that happen? Hope you get the perp....and then the others would surely be safe? Good luck.
smile.png

We had a fox problem a few years ago. I lost a couple of my very young pullets because the stupid fence blew open.

Our biggest problem is the coyote infestation. We have lived here for about 6 years and have killed about 20 coyotes so far. At one point we had to keep a gun in the barn because they foxes and coyotes would come out in the middle of the day and try to snatch my birds.

I had issues with a pair of foxes last summer. Like an idiot I was expecting a fox to hit dusk or dawn but this pair was coming in the middle of the day .....between noon and 3pm.

I lost a few young birds that for some reason preferred to free range away from the flock on the far side of the fence.

It actually took seeing a fox chase a chicken across my porch to realize what the culprit was. I had suspected a hawk or an eagle.

When the first was taken care of that is when we realized there was a second fox with the same mode of hunt, same time of day etc....

Julie

Well, yesterday I had a Leghorn hen come down to the house. The wife feeds the one that come down bread every once in a while.
This one apparently was a newbie for the treats.

Well, to my astonishment she had a BARE BUTT. Yep, the feathers I found in the barn which I KNEW were a leghorn hen was HER, bare butt and all. I was thrilled, no blood or pecking by the others, just a bare butted bird. I does look funny though and she is doing great.

Back
Top Bottom