Lost a goose during the day

Mrs. Turbo

Songster
10 Years
Jan 26, 2009
ky
Well, something got one of my Sebastopols today during the day and just ate the head..... we have been seeing coons running around during the day for some reason....... not sure what else would just eat the head? How could it grab her from the middle of the flock?

Poor thing.
sad.png
I am so sorry
hugs.gif
, though I don't know what would do that.
smile.png

If you are seeing coons during the day that means 1. you have a huge population of coons so some have to forage during the day to get enough to eat or 2. they are sick

I'm so sorry you lost a goose.

I would agree that they may be sick. They usually are not usually out during the day. Sorry about your goose. You can loose your animals just as much during the day as you can at night.

I have a lot of coons in my area. They took three of my Silkie hens in the middle of the day on different days. They are feeding babies and teaching their young how to hunt right now. They pulled one of my girls through a chain link run at four in the afternoon.

Guess it wasn't the head that was eaten.....that is what my 12 year old said before I looked at her myself. She was eaten around the vent area......that is it. That is so odd....

Thats awful, sorry about your sebbie.
I heard when racoons and skunks are out during the day its a higher chance they could be rabid because it messes with their brains, so please be careful.

Oh, I'm so sorry. A bird being eaten from the bottom could also be a dog. When my dogs ganged up and killed my pet goose, that's where they started
sad.png

If you know you have coons, honey, they will be back.

I had a very young coyote come up fearlessly into my pasture right behind my house. He stared at me with curiosity until I was ten feet from him (I was running and screaming too!!). He could have been ill, but I think he was just young.

Keep your birds on lock down for a while, I'm afraid
sad.png

Mrs. Turbo :

Guess it wasn't the head that was eaten.....that is what my 12 year old said before I looked at her myself. She was eaten around the vent area......that is it. That is so odd....

Sorry you've lost a goose. Coons are not the first thing that usually strikes during the day but it does happen, especially this time of year. Those people who let stuff range around the farm all day and then lock it up at night are only fooling themselves. Canines of any kind are just as likely to take something during the day as after dark. Proximity to houses and buildings means nothing and is no safety net either. Coons usually eat at the front end of a decent sized bird. Possums will often eat from the rear and will tackle a full grown goose but usually in the winter when they are desperate or when the geese are confined. Plus there's nothing during the winter that is easier for a Possum to kill. This time of year there are eggs, youngsters or smaller things than geese to tackle. But that won't keep them from eating off a kill they've found. I would wonder if your goose happened to die and was found by a Possum. Next choice would be the Coons, especially as you've seen them. But it's not a typical Coon kill.​

Back
Top Bottom