Lost a hen and three of her babies

LocoPollo

Songster
Aug 13, 2008
Ellijay, GA
Hey all, I am new to raising chickens, although I am totally addicted now I think! Anyway, the other week I went to feed my chickens and when I called them, two little babies (6 weeks old) came out of the brush, then from another direction came another, then from another direction came the rooster and my other hen with her two babies. They are all normally together. Missing were my other hen and her other three 6 week old babies. I have had no other losses ever, and thought it was odd that a hen and three babies would be lost in one shot. There were no feathers anywhere nor any dead chickens anywhere. Do yall think an animal did this? or did someone come by? (I dont live on the property where the chickens are)

welcome-byc.gif

Do they have any peck or teeth marks in them?

No, the hen and her babies just disappeared. No trace of them at all. Her other babies that remained all look healthy and fine. If it were an animal I would think only one bird would be lost, but 4 makes me wonder.

I know coyotes can travel in packs. Dogs also. Mother racoons teach their babies to hunt. It might be more than one preditor.
Also if it was one animal killing for food it might have taken the mother or the babies. If killing for pleasure it would have caught everything it could.
I am sorry for your loss.

Just thinking out loud here... Could your hen be in the woods or bushes setting on a new group of eggs?

Maybe the chicks that came home are individuals and do not feel they have to be close to Mum Hen and the remaining feel as though they need to be near a broody hen?

As for the new Hen/Roo/Chicks, they could have wonder off from their home and found yours?

Before DH & I began to think about owning chickens, a group of Bandy Chickens moved in our neighborhood. Although we live in a subdivision, the house are on large lots, thd 2 roo and about 6 or so hens thought we looked inviting.

Slowly but surely, the free ranging flock was picked off one by one by the homeless critters that run through the neighborhood. We hear the roo in the morning and are on the look out for the last hen. We think she is in the wooded lot hatching a clutch of eggs. Everyone hopes she makes it otherwise Mr. Roo will be pretty lonely.

I hope your hen and babies come home soon.
fl.gif

Last edited:
I hope your hen is okay... There are many of us here who understand your loss. It's upsetting, especially when they disappear without a trace. There is no closure.

You said you were looking for your chickens and they came running out of the bushes... This leads me to wonder...where do your chickens live? Do they have a secure coop and run?

They are free range, and have a fenced in area with a coop in it that is secure, but during the day they fly over the fence and free range till roosting time.

That is odd that so many would be missing. Do you have coyote or wild dog packs in your area that you know of? If just one dissapeared I would say a fox, because they kill quickly and oftentimes there's no sign of a struggle. And they hunt during the day. Maybe one got eaten and the others are hiding. I would keep looking.

Thanks I am gonna keep looking. I am hoping somehow she is gonna come home one day with a bunch of new babies in tow, or something.

Back
Top Bottom