1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lost a hen last night GRAPHIC PIC

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jklyles1, Aug 28, 2013.

1. jklyles1

jklyles1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    I found one of my hens dead on the coop floor this morning. Beside her was a shelless egg. She was wormed with Valbazen on Sunday. She was fine last night. I did a necropsy and didnt find an egg or eggshell. She did have a small, what i assume, prolapse. No blood, but i did notice some yellowish/greenish discharge. I also checked intestines and didnt see any large blockage of dead worms. He beak was clean, no drainage. What could have happened to her?

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Possible heart attack or aneurism trying to pass the egg?

-Kathy

3. jklyles1

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    I had no idea chickens could have heart attacks. Scary and makes me sad for my poor girl.

Any other opinions or ideas? Could a prolapse cause death so quickly?

4. jklyles1

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    So im a bit nervous. This morning i nervously went to the coop hoping to find all 15 healthy and happy. Everyone was alive!!! Thank goodness. But i did notice a TON of white feathers on the ground. My solid white EE is losing feathers! When she does the poof thing and shakes a ton of feathers fly out. She is 9 months old. Im WORRIED!!!!! Could it just be a molt? I dont want to lose another hen!!!!!

HELP!

I did check for lice and mites. Didnt find any.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Lots of mine are molting, too. FWIW, I dust mine with poultry dust or Sevin even if I cannot see any.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by