1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lost a hen today, worried about the rest of the group

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hen howitzer, Mar 2, 2012.

1. hen howitzer

hen howitzer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Yesterday when I put up the hens I noticed one wasn't on the roost, but sitting on the floor in the hay. She was a little lethargic looking, but I had to go to work. I looked up backyard chickens at work and saw someone said to hold them upside down and see if stuff drained out of the mouth. This morning when I let them out, she was sitting in a corner by herself. I picked her up and her eyes were mostly closed and she was breathing slowly and had a couple drops of yellowy water stuff in her mouth. I turned her upside down and a bunch of stinky brownish water drained out. I did this several times and then had her sitting on my lap and she jerked around a little then died.[​IMG]. I just cleaned out the coop and I'm going to clean the waterer with bleach, but I'm worried about the other birds. They are acting normal, but so was she a couple of days ago. Any ideas?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. hen howitzer

Mar 11, 2011
    Oops forgot to click the notify button.

3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Sorry for you loss. Sounds like she may have had a sour crop. I've actually read that you shouldn't turn them upside down that they will aspirate the stuff and choke to death.

I don't think that it is something that you have to worry with the other chickens. If you are concerned, you can have her necropsied and find out exactly what you are dealing with. You can put her in the fridge until you can find someone that will do one. State agencies are usually the best since they will do them for nothing or for a small fee.

4. hen howitzer

Mar 11, 2011
    I'll have to look sour crop up and look more into it. I wouldn't even have thought about turning her upside down if I hadn't read it. It's hard to believe all the things that can go wrong with chickens.

5. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    So true :(

6. teutschb

teutschb Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2011
    Alliance, OH
    Try worming them.[​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2, Sour and/or impacted crop.

8. hen howitzer

Mar 11, 2011
    I read up on the sour crop and it looks like that was it. I'll know better now if it ever happens with the other hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by