Lost a Hen Today

imnukensc

Crowing
6 Years
May 22, 2017
SC Midlands
Lost a hen today about 3:00 PM to a juvenile Cooper's Hawk. It's the price we as owners, and the chickens, pay for free ranging. By the time I was able to get to site of the attack (about 80 yards) and scare the hawk away, she was already dead, but I didn't see the beginning of it. I didn't do a thorough examination, but she didn't even look like she'd been harmed. A few feathers on the ground, but no obvious wounds. The hawk was nowhere near large enough to even lift the bird (full grown BR) off the ground.

Lost a hen today about 3:00 PM to a juvenile Cooper's Hawk. It's the price we as owners, and the chickens, pay for free ranging. By the time I was able to get to site of the attack (about 80 yards) and scare the hawk away, she was already dead, but I didn't see the beginning of it. I didn't do a thorough examination, but she didn't even look like she'd been harmed. A few feathers on the ground, but no obvious wounds. The hawk was nowhere near large enough to even lift the bird (full grown BR) off the ground.
Sorry. :( I lost my favorite polish hen to a hawk last week too. I think mine was a young red tail hawk.

I'm so sorry!:hugs I recently lost a chicken to a hawk also.

When the hawk got my bird it just took the head and neck. I don't think they take the full body.
Mine just ate her throat and chest right on the ground. It actually came back after killing it to eat. My husband left the hen until he could show me so I knew which one it was.

Mine just ate her throat and chest right on the ground. It actually came back after killing it to eat. My husband left the hen until he could show me so I knew which one it was.
Mine might of too. I'm not sure what happened. When we went into the pen the whole head and neck was completely gone. I looked out the window and I saw my dog chasing a hawk out of our run. We went to look and the neck was gone. It was so sad!

Mine might of too. I'm not sure what happened. When we went into the pen the whole head and neck was completely gone. I looked out the window and I saw my dog chasing a hawk out of our run. We went to look and the neck was gone. It was so sad!
This is only the second time in 20 years I've had a problem hawk. Hopefully mine has moved on. I'm glad winter is coming because my birds will stay in the shed more and be safer. Sorry about your hen. I think we always feel a bit responsible when a predator gets one.

Sorry for your loss. I hate hawks. Was her neck broken? Hawks can land/strike with great force.
Juveniles are crappy hunters. They don’t try to fly off with them they’ll just get them on the ground. Mature experienced hunters will go for a “wise” hunt. Smaller birds that they can haul up to a tree to pluck.
Ever seen a hawk eat a bird?
They rip the head off then the feathers then the wings.
They usually eat the bird semi-whole.
Juveniles seem to practice on chickens. I hate hawks!

This is only the second time in 20 years I've had a problem hawk. Hopefully mine has moved on. I'm glad winter is coming because my birds will stay in the shed more and be safer. Sorry about your hen. I think we always feel a bit responsible when a predator gets one.
This was our first hawk attack. The hawks have never bothered our chickens before.
It was actually a young cockerel the hawk got. He was so handsome!
Mine have been staying in the barns a lot more since the colder weather is starting to kick in here.

Back
Top Bottom