Lost a hen today!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Mar 4, 2009.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    [​IMG] DBF has 4 hens that live outside the coop. These are hens that were badly picked on so we removed them and let them roam the yard and at night they sleep in the garage. Everyone was all healed and doing fine. This afternoon, around 5pm, he heard a commotion and went to check on them. Found three hens huddled together and squawking, with the fourth nowhere in sight. He did find blood on the garage floor and is just sick about this.

Any idea what kind of predator would have gone into the garage and grabbed her? He has a big dog outside, but she is chained up and can't get into the garage. Also has stray cats he rescued that have become family over the years that live outdoors. We know it wouldn't have been one of the cats because they are terrified of the hens, but I'm surprised they didn't scare whatever it was off. He has an acre and we have seen raccoons way in the back (although not yet this year) and he did see a fox a few weeks ago. Could it have been the fox? Would they be bold enough to get past the cats and go in the garage?? [​IMG]

2. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    A fox is not only bold enogh to go past the cats - a hungry one will eat the cats as well. I believe they are dusk to dawn feeders, so it may well have been a fox. It could also have been a raccoon.
    Such a situation really leaves you feeling vulnerable - not to mention the poor hens. They will probably have to been contained now for their own safety.
    I'm sorry.

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    OH! Didn't know that about the foxes! I have to guess that's what it was but we have no way to know. Only saw it once and it's been at least 3 weeks. Well, he saw it; I've never seen one in my life except taxidermied at the nature center. We've never had a single problem in over a year. What a wake-up call.

4. chicklady63

Feb 10, 2009
    So sorry it came this way. FYI rats and opposums will also prey on your birds. At least they will the bantam breeds. I've had that happen, so I really know how you feel.
    Good luck and may everybody keep safe!

I'm Cyndi, too, by the way. Just a different twist on the spelling. (It's really Cynthia).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  5. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Sorry for your loss [​IMG] We have had a fox lurking for a couple of months and they will eat anything they can find as will opossums.

6. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Quote:Mine too! (Cynthia)

Thanks for all the info. [​IMG] DBF is taking this very hard because the hens that lived outside the coop were the friendliest. This was our favorite black star. We called her "Black Bird". I know, so original but it fit.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss. I have lost two birds so far. A neighborhood dog came into my yard and dug under my fance and got at my girls. Now I have an electric fence around the outside of my other fence. If I see it near my birds again I will SSS.

8. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

fox will eat cats
    ive seen it in west virginia they are brave and mean

9. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I should have updated sooner - sorry - but she did come home the following day. DBF was out searching for her that night and again in the morning but couldn't find her. He walked back into the garage and there she was! She was eating and drinking just fine, although she did have some broken/missing tailfeathers and was a little bloody. He cleaned her up and she seemed ok. Today he noticed she was leaking liquid from her vent and was afraid she had egg peritonitis (have lost some to that before). Later on in the afternoon she was either trying really hard to poop or lay an egg, but what looks like her intestines came out instead. The other hens started to pick at her so he separated her. Seems like we may lose her after all. [​IMG] I'm guessing she may have had some internal injuries from whatever attacked her, but I really don't know.

10. chicklady63

Feb 10, 2009
    Oh, noooo! I just remembered to check this post & saw your latest update. I'm really, really very sorry. Sometimes life just isn't pleasant or fair. If she dides, I hope she goes peacefully - for you all.
    Take care. I feel for you.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by