Lost a hen today

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farmington, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Farmington

Farmington Songster

Jun 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    I don't know what happened. She was 13 weeks old. Yesterday, she was fine, running around, eating, normal. Today, my son went out to check on the birds in the morning, and she (her name was Gertie) was walking kind of in a stupor, with her head leaning to the side, and her eyes closed. She got worse throughout the day, keeping to herself, lethargic. By the time I got home from work, they had brought her in the house, and she was laying on her side, both eyes shut, and thick clear, like saliva in her mouth, and dripping out. She had no signs of anything else wrong with her. Within an hour or so, she started to stress out, kind of convulsing, and choking, then died. No other birds so far are showing any symptoms of anything. Any guesses as to what killed our Gertie girl? Thanks all.

2. Afrochicken

Afrochicken Chirping

Aug 7, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Songster

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    No idea, but sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

4. NonnasBabies

NonnasBabies Muddy Acre Farms Premium Member

Sep 20, 2009
    On the Farm!
    Could it possibly be the heat?? Just guessing here really!! So sorry you lost one of your girls! [​IMG] I lot one of my big girls almost 2 weeks ago and haven't the faintest idea why!!

Hope you figure it out!

Missi

5. bella1210

bella1210 Songster

Jul 10, 2010
    ct
    i don't know what killed Gertie but the same stuff was happening to our bird and she died today [​IMG] i am sorry that gertie died [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by